Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Visa length

Posted by Criggy on 27/2/2012 at 09:55

Just planning my trip around SEA next month...
I'm going for about 9 weeks in total, and i'm thinking of spending 4-5 in Vietnam to start. I'm hoping to do this by motorbike, and keep my itinerary pretty flexible. How easy is it to get a visa extension if I chose to get a 1 month visa and end up staying for 5-6 weeks? Can this just be sorted out with cash when I leave (land border to Cambodia) or will I need to apply for an extension at an embassy before my visa expires?
Is it just as well to pay the extra and get the 3 month visa just for peace of mind, or is this a simple enough thing to sort out?
Thanks for any advice,

#1 Criggy has been a member since 21/2/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by THEIBC on 27/2/2012 at 13:48

Hi mate, we sorted our Vietnam Visa in Laos cos we heard rumours about not getting them at the border unless you were flying in. Extending your Visa is very easy, our hotel arranged it in Nha Trang. Lots of places offer the service and charge a small fee for the pleasure, just make sure you trust (as much as you can) whoever you give it too, we spent a few weeks in our hotel and go to know them pretty well otherwise I would have been a bit scared of doing so, you can do it for yourself at the embassy though.

You will love it in Vietnam on the bike, be careful though saw lots of bandages on people from crashes. We took it easy and were fine, their way of driving looks mental and as though it has no rules but after a day or two you realise how things work and should be fine.

If you are staying in guesthouses or want to do scuba diving whilst there you might want to check out our discount card - - to save a bit of cash!

#2 THEIBC has been a member since 12/10/2011. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 20
 Send THEIBC a private message   Website 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code

Posted by shopunderwater on 28/2/2012 at 12:52

Posted from within Vietnam.

If you are going to stay longer than your original visa it's best to sort out an extension not wait until you leave. One month extensions can easily be arranged through hotels and tour offices in all the big cities.
If you are riding a motorbike in Vietnam make sure you are aware of the law here, ie unless you go plan on getting a VN license (which you can't do on a 1mth visa anyway) you will not be covered by your travel insurance. Many tourists do ride anyway and most escape without serious injury, but it is a risk.

#3 shopunderwater has been a member since 27/1/2012. Location: Australia. Posts: 8
 Send shopunderwater a private message 

Posted by Criggy on 28/2/2012 at 14:14

Thank you for your advice guys!

#4 Criggy has been a member since 21/2/2012. Posts: 13

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.