Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

odd house in VN?

Posted by stephka on 24/3/2007 at 18:35

Posted from within Vietnam.

I read somewhere on the net months ago about some very eccentric house that was built here in VN by a woman, that is available to tourists to visit. I can't find it in my guidebook, and having trouble doing a netsearch. Does anyone know what I'm talking about?

#1 stephka has been a member since 14/7/2006. Posts: 7

Posted by somtam2000 on 25/3/2007 at 05:42 admin

Are you thinking of the Crazy House in Da Lat? If so, you can read more about it here -- there's even a pic!

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,568
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by CatBa on 27/3/2007 at 23:28

Madam Nha is a qualified architect who has good political connections. Her hotel is a 'work in prgress'.

A visit to her hotel is worth it for just the coffee.

#3 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by stephka on 28/3/2007 at 22:42

Thanks, that's it. We will definitely go see that.

#4 stephka has been a member since 14/7/2006. Posts: 7

Posted by stephka on 9/4/2007 at 22:38

Okay, I went to see that yesterday, and I can honestly say that it was one of the highlights of my trip. That was the most bizarre and eccentric bit of architecture that I've seen anywhere, and I would live there if I could. If you like architecture that is different, you can stay there too. I think it costs around US$30-50 for a room, and we would have stayed if we'd had time. And yeah, the coffee is pretty good, especially when drunk in a fantasy cave house.

#5 stephka has been a member since 14/7/2006. Posts: 7

Posted by noflyzone on 4/7/2010 at 10:50

Bumping some old stuff today, but...

...you can stay in the Crazy House and maybe you should. It's much more expensive than the usual, but it's one of a kind. It's pretty badly made once you get up close, the curtains are terrible and there're few mod cons. Tourists will be rattling your door at 7AM.

But.

You will be staying in somewhere you will probably never replicate. You can watch sunrise/set in the house. You can wander through the marvellousness at night, with no-one around. You can take tea and talk to the tourists wandering through your room. You can have a bear for a fireplace...

#6 noflyzone has been a member since 9/6/2010. Posts: 11

Posted by buster80 on 4/7/2010 at 23:35

Do you have any info on where we can book this??

#7 buster80 has been a member since 16/4/2010. Posts: 5

Posted by busylizzy on 5/7/2010 at 03:41

I just did a quick google and came up with a couple of online booking options:

http://www.hotelvietnamonline.com/dalat/crazyhouse/index.htm
http://www.hotels-in-vietnam.com/hotels/Dalat/crazyhouse_hotel.html

I'm sure there are more... and I can't vouch for the above booking sites, as I only came across them via google.

#8 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,155
 Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by buster80 on 6/7/2010 at 20:46

Thanks busylizzy,
Ive had a wee look at the reviews on a different site, think i will just go for a visit rather than try and stay!

#9 buster80 has been a member since 16/4/2010. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.