Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Travel planning from Vietnam to Thailand

Posted by emesa38 on 15/4/2012 at 17:35

Please help me create an itinerary from Vietnam, Cambodia, Thailand, and China. I am planning to travel for 4 weeks in total. Any recommendations and should I remove a city from itinerary? What will be the estimated cost or expenses to expect (such as transportation or visa fees)?

For China I am only interested in Shanghai and Beijing for the Great Wall.

Thank you!

#1 emesa38 has been a member since 15/4/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by busylizzy on 15/4/2012 at 18:23

Two suggestions:

- Focus on 2 countries maximum!
- Check out these itineraries for some ideas:

It's hard to estimate costs for you when we don't know what style of travelling you will be pursuing. Backpackers? 5-star hotels? Airplanes or dilapidated buses? Share accom or solo?

Need for, and cost of visas can depend on your nationality. Thailand is free (30 days on arrival if arriving by air, 14 days if arriving overland), Cambodia = $25 (or was it $20?), Vietnam = approx $30 if you fly (plus another $20 or so for pre-approval letter). Suggest you read through the visa section on this forum to get a better understanding.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by emesa38 on 15/4/2012 at 18:47

Thank you for responding and info.
Style is backpackers, buses, airplanes, and accompanied.

#3 emesa38 has been a member since 15/4/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by ecotravelvietna on 17/4/2012 at 09:08

Posted from within Vietnam.

Take flight from your country to Thailand. Visit Thailand. And then take flight from Bangkok to Cambodia. Have a visiting Phnompenh and Siem reap in 4 or 5 days. If time is limited, you can only visit Siem Reap 2 or 3 days. After that take flight to Ho Chi Minh. If you visit Phnompenh you can take speedboat from Phnompenh to Chau Doc, visit mekong delta - Ho Chi Minh - Cu chi tunnels - Da Nang - Hoi An - Hue - Ha Noi - Halong - sapa. In Vietnam you can spend 12 to 15 days with these above places. You take flight from Hanoi to China for visiting.

#4 ecotravelvietna has been a member since 21/3/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by chinarocks on 17/4/2012 at 09:33

Ok, are you crazy?! With all due respect, this strikes me as a bit pointless. The Great Wall and Shaghai are great but going to China only to see them is such a waste on so many levels (costs, not representative of the country etc etc). Leave it out for this time and if you do decide to go some other time then please visit other parts of China while you are there (Sichuan, Xian etc etc). That would then leave 4 weeks for 3 countries. As Lizzy says cut it back to two and even then it may be a stretch. Cambodia with either Thailand or Vietnam is probably your best bet as Cambodia is the smallest of them all.

#5 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Posted by MADMAC on 17/4/2012 at 13:44

China - ya think?

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by chinarocks on 17/4/2012 at 16:27

Do I think what MAC?

#7 chinarocks has been a member since 17/6/2011. Posts: 738

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.