Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

North to South Vietnam to BKK

Posted by James90 on 28/4/2012 at 14:23

Hi guys,

I'm looking to travel North to South Vietnam and then into BKK from 21 June to 8 July this year.

This is the route I'm planning to take

Hanoi -> Hue -> Hoi An -> Dalat -> Mui Ne -> Saigon -> Siem Reap -> Aranyaprathet -> BKK

The thing is I need to reach BKK by the evening of 7th July to meet my friends and spend a few days there. Do you reckon if this trip is doable if I'm looking to stay maybe 1-3 days at each town? I am looking to do the open tour bus by sinhcafe and then take the railway from Aranyaprathet to BKK.

I'm also looking at doing a Easyrider trip from Dalat to Muine as many have said that riding through the mountains in Vietnam is an experience

I'd greatly appreciate if anyone can offer some advice or suggestions! Also let me know if anyone here will be travelling in the same period, would be interested to hangout!

Thanks
James

#1 James90 has been a member since 28/4/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by daawgon on 30/4/2012 at 11:16

I suppose it's ok for time, but I don't think Hue or Saigon deserve 3 days (Hanoi needs more time, and you're skipping one great place in Sapa). The trip from Hoi An to Dalat is very long - much better to fly Danang-Dalat. You should know that VN roads are less than safe - Personally, I avoid those buses!

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Posted by Bartje83 on 2/5/2012 at 04:26

A bit much for such a short time, but should be doable. Agree with above that Danang-Dalat flight would save time. Also might consider leaving out either Dalat or Mui Ne to give yourself a little more breathing space.

Disagree with above on Hanoi deserving more time than Hue and Saigon. Liked those places much better than Hanoi.

#3 Bartje83 has been a member since 2/5/2012. Location: Netherlands. Posts: 10

Posted by Anna2121 on 7/6/2012 at 22:46

Dear James90,
I am planning to do a similar tour as yours:
Saigon - Can Tho
Can Tho - Phnom Penh
Phnom Penh - Siem Reap
Siem Reap - Poipet - Aranyaprathet - Bangkok
Did you get any information for the trip Can Tho to PP (are there any speed boat doing it in one day so as I don't need to sleep over in Chau Doc?).
Also what would be recommended to do PP - Siem Reap?
I know there are 2 options: boat and bus...but I read somewhere that the boat was not safe. Is that true?
Thank you all for your help!!!

#4 Anna2121 has been a member since 7/6/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by ecotravelvn on 9/6/2012 at 09:18

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi James,
Why don't you spend your time in Halong Bay. 2 days with 1 night on board. It is worth to visit.

#5 ecotravelvn has been a member since 3/6/2012. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 19

Posted by James90 on 11/6/2012 at 12:17

Any overnight tour cruise for Halong Bay that you'll recommend? Thanks!

#6 James90 has been a member since 28/4/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Anna2121 on 14/6/2012 at 05:21

Dear James90, I just did a cruise with Vietnam Insolite in Halong Bay and it was amazing. I totally recommend! 2 days, 1 night aboard their private junk. They also offer non-private options.
Could you please share with me your findings about the Saigon-PP part?Thank you very much in advance.
I looked at some tours by Sinhcafe: Saigon to PP. Anyone ever done one? Please give me feedbacks!

#7 Anna2121 has been a member since 7/6/2012. Posts: 6

Posted by ecotravelvn on 14/6/2012 at 09:53

Take Dragon Peark junk or Red Dradon Junk or Phoenix Cruise is good to choose 2 days/1 night trip in Halong bay.

#8 ecotravelvn has been a member since 3/6/2012. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 19

Posted by stephenpham on 14/6/2012 at 10:49

Hi,

If you have time, you can do 3days/2nights in Halong bay on boat

#9 stephenpham has been a member since 12/6/2012. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.