Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Withdraw large amounts of money at bank counter, not ATM

Posted by CPatrick on 14/7/2012 at 23:47

Hello everyone,

I am planning to travel in Vietnam soon.

I would like to avoid the fees associated with withdrawing from an ATM in Vietnam.

Is it possible to withdraw a larger amount money at the foriegn exchange counter INSIDE a larger branch of a bank in a large city USING my Canadian bank atm card or Canadian Visa credit card?

I am thinking around 8,000,000 dong.

I would appreciate any information on this possibility.

Thanks Neil

#1 CPatrick has been a member since 14/7/2012. Posts: 1

Posted by busylizzy on 15/7/2012 at 05:53

I was able to pull out approx $500NZD using my NZ Mastercard at a bank in HCMC without any problem. But just be aware that if you do a cash advance, you will normally incur interest immediately. Weight that up against ATM fees. To avoid that, I went online the day before and transferred enough money to cover the withdrawal and any other expenses I already had on my card.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by altmtl on 15/7/2012 at 05:59

Load your credit card beforehand to avoid interest, but you still may get charged a fee from your bank? In Canada it's $2.50.

#3 altmtl has been a member since 18/5/2009. Location: Canada. Posts: 995
 Send altmtl a private message   Website   Twitter   Facebook  

Posted by tyler on 15/7/2012 at 18:03

8000000 dong. Should make bartering easy pulling out that big wad!
Hmm - you might need an extra bag for your dong... :)

#4 tyler has been a member since 7/12/2010. Location: Canada. Posts: 257
 Send tyler a private message   Where has tyler been? 

Posted by Randy on 26/8/2012 at 17:49

I am a Canadian, frequently visit to Vietnam. In my own opinion and for my own safety during my time there, I never take out more than 200US dollars at a time. The first thing is inconvenience . With that equivalence of Vietnamese bills, where would I stuff all of those money? The second thing is whenever I pay something, I gotto pull out a bundle of cash and that catches attention of bad element in Vietnamese streets. Bottom line, be safe Buddy. Accept the fee and NEVER, EVER carry big cash in Vietnamese society. The end.

#5 Randy has been a member since 3/2/2011. Posts: 28

Posted by LolaNguyen on 31/8/2012 at 09:04 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

Use Tech Com bank's ATM's they are one of the only ATMs that do not charge a processing fee (usually 20,000VND) and you can take up to 5,000,000VND out at a time. Does'nt help much with your bank charges at home unless you get a prepaid travel card and load it before you go - which might well save you a few quid which goes a long way in Vietnam.

#6 LolaNguyen has been a member since 28/8/2012. Posts: 94
 Send LolaNguyen a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.