Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hanoi - Dien Bien Phu by bus?

Posted by hjpot on 5/10/2012 at 06:05

Posted from within Vietnam.

I'm planning to cross overland into Laos from Dien Bien Phu. I'm currently in Hanoi . While I can find lots of information on the actual crossing, or on getting to DBP from Sapa , I can't seem to find any info on taking a direct bus from Hanoi to DBP. People have told me to take a train from Hanoi to Sapa and then the bus to DBP, but if I look at a map this just doesn't seem to make any sense. The train would take a whole day (or night) and as far as I know it's then another full day to get to DBP from Sapa.

Does anyone have any experience with the direct bus from Hanoi, or is it so excruciating that the Hanoi - Sapa - DBP route really is the best option?

#1 hjpot has been a member since 14/8/2010. Posts: 3

Posted by hungpetit on 8/10/2012 at 22:40

Hi

Bus form Hanoi to Dien Bien Phu near National University of Hanoi, I dont exactly address (336 Nguyen Trai - Thanh Xuan - HN)but Only that Bus station they go to Son La and Dien Bien Phu. Start in early morning at around 5 AM

#2 hungpetit has been a member since 8/10/2012. Posts: 3

Posted by travellingsarah on 9/10/2012 at 00:04 TF writer

Definitely don't go via Lao Cai and Sapa. There are decent buses running direct from Hanoi to Dien Bien Phu which take the southern part of the so called Dien Bien Phu loop. The road is (now) well made and although the drive can be a bit hairy, it's not too bad and only takes about 8 hours. Last time I checked, buses ran from My Dinh and Southern Bus stations. From My Dinh they depart between 04:30 and 19:00 and it costs 350,000VND, and from Southern there are also regular departures during the day, costing 260,000 to 350,000VND. There will be both minibuses and large, sleepers. I'm afraid I don't know what time each goes so you might have to be prepared to wait a bit for the bus you want.

#3 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Send travellingsarah a private message   Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.