Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Mekong Delta during TET

Posted by sportie23 on 23/10/2012 at 14:07

My girlfriend and me we want to visit the mekong delta in february 2013.

We think about vinh long, can tho, sa dec, ha tien: some days after tet (15.02 - 18.02) or during tet 07-11.02.2013.

> Are transport (local bus etc.) a problem?
> Can we find local accommodation?
> What will be with swimming markets? Are they closed?

or is it better to stay one week later (26.02-29.02)?

Sorry for the questions. But I have a little bit fear that we do not see "the original" vietnam during the time...

Thanks a lot for your help!

#1 sportie23 has been a member since 23/10/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Lila_Kue on 30/10/2012 at 03:23

im not sure about original Vietnam those days since it's Tet but i think you just wait about one month later to travel then everything will back to normal. Float markets in Mekong delta tours are awesome. They remind me about the same kind of market in Thailand.

#2 Lila_Kue has been a member since 16/10/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by caseyprich on 30/10/2012 at 03:40

The markets are not as busy during Tet as most people will be staying home and celebrating with family. If you arrive a week or so before Tet the markets may be very busy though - as people are preparing for Tet. Even a few days directly after the Tet holiday we found the Can Tho floating market a bit underwhelming. Also, in the days directly around Tet transportation won't be as easy - so I'd rather recommend that you hunker down during Tet in Phu Quoc island and relax if you are going to be in the country for longer than just Tet.

#3 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by sportie23 on 30/10/2012 at 06:39

Thanks for your help. I guess we will stay at Mekong Delta around 22.02-24.02.

Later is a little bit difficult for us. I hope these 2 weeks after TET are OK.

#4 sportie23 has been a member since 23/10/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by Monoviadaine on 31/10/2012 at 22:15

I had found out Vietnam culture & see that: Tet is traditional festival. whole country stop doing every thing to welcome Tet. If U want to travel, I think U should go to about 3-4 lunar. At this time, Vietnamese activities will work as normal. And also help u easily to sight seeing...

#5 Monoviadaine has been a member since 31/10/2012. Posts: 2

Posted by samwin on 1/11/2012 at 21:24

Posted from within Vietnam.

Highly recommend you to travel to Vietnam 2 weeks after Tet Holiday because during Tet, it's so difficult to arrange the transportation (local people booked tickets long time before Tet to coming back home).

#6 samwin has been a member since 1/10/2012. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.