Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

South Vietnam help

Posted by PinkPox on 28/12/2012 at 20:34

Posted from within Vietnam.

Dear fellow travelers.
These are very first times looking travel fish site and feel it very lovely and helpful. Hope that I can get very useful tips for our upcoming trip. Thanks in advance.
We are two adults and one child of 6 are planning trips to the South of Vietnam. We only have 5 days in early May. We not interested in Saigon city tour but do love Cu Chu tunnel, heard many great things about it. We love to spend most time in Mekong delta, considering Can Tho, Chau Doc, Ben Tre, floating markets, fruit gardens (my son love it very much), traditional music, and true Vietnamese foods... Any specific suggestions would be hugely welcomed. What is a must to see?
With such a time, can we visit Dalat and how long is good?Any recommendations?
Thank you all very much.

#1 PinkPox has been a member since 28/12/2012. Posts: 6
 Send PinkPox a private message 

Posted by antoniamitchell on 29/12/2012 at 16:47

Hi PinkPox,

If you only have 5 days and want to see the Mekong Delta, it's probably best to base yourself in that area, and not waste most of one day on transport up to Dalat (which if memory serves was around 6 or 7 hours by bus from HCMC, so would probably be 8 or 9 hours by bus from somewhere like Can Tho).

There was a recent post by Somtam2000 on this site about itinerary ideas for the Mekong Delta (you can find it here: https://www.travelfish.org/board/post/vietnam/20558_southern-vietnam-advice-please) which may be useful to you.

Have a good trip!

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Location: Singapore. Posts: 516
 Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by PinkPox on 30/12/2012 at 08:22

Thanks for your reply. I have read the link and find some good suggestions. But with only 5 days, may I include Phu Quoc or it's better just stick to My Tho, Can Tho, Vinh Long, Rach Gia?
Can you recommend a good tour operator whose prices are competitive and we can trust, too.
Thanks very much!

#3 PinkPox has been a member since 28/12/2012. Posts: 6
 Send PinkPox a private message 

Posted by guidosaigon on 6/1/2013 at 14:21

If you fly to Phu Quoc, you could go, but it seems like you are trying to see too much. Roads are slow here, and you will spend a lot of time just going to your destinations. Any reason Cu Chi tunnels are so important? They are interesting to be sure, but they are a bit depressing....the first thing you do is watch a violent war movie, then look at booby traps. You can shoot a machine gun if that is of interest. I would spend my day seeing something closer, and friendlier :-)

#4 guidosaigon has been a member since 5/1/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by SaoMaiHotel on 22/1/2013 at 02:33

Hi PinkPox,

If you have only 5 days and you want to visit Southern of Vietnam. I would suggest you visit Ha Tien Town, one of the most attractive places in Kien Giang Province, Melkong Delta of Vietnam, besides Phu Quoc Island. Ha Tien is a popular tourist site for its beutiful lanscapes and beaches. You can take flight from Ho Chi Minh City to Phu Quoc Island, it takes about 55 minutes. And then take a ferry from Phu Quoc to Ha Tien. It takes about 2 hours. There are 2 ferry trip a day. Or you can go by coach/bus from Ho Chi Minh City to Ha Tien, stay one or two night in Ha Tien, visiting somes famous places, enjoy some true Vietnames foods and then take a ferry from Ha Tien to Phu Quoc Island. It takes about nine hours from Ho Chi Minh City to Ha Tien by bus/coach. There are many bus/coach trip from Ho Chi Minh City to Ha Tien a day. However, if you go by bus/coach from Ho Chi Minh City to Ha Tien, you can also visit Tien Giang, Can Tho or Vinh Long if you want.

#5 SaoMaiHotel has been a member since 22/1/2013. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.