Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Mekong cycling question

Posted by Pghtraveller on 16/1/2013 at 12:13

I'd like to explore the Mekong delta independently and I'm looking for some help. First off, I'm wondering if anyone knows of a company that offers a service where I can rent a bike in HCMC and drop it off in Rach Gia or Ha Tien (I'll be continuing on to Cambodia after)?

Second, can anyone send a link to a map with a route they've followed?

Last, I'd also consider hiring a private guide for the trip. Can anyone recommend one?

Thanks so much for the help!

#1 Pghtraveller has been a member since 3/1/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 16/1/2013 at 17:17 admin

I did this trip in early December, there is a map up top. Was a fun trip - close to zero tourists.

In answer to your questions:

1) No. Though you could try Saigon Scooter Centre as they allow drop offs to the north.

2) Can't recommend a guide, though any travel agency in Saigon will be able to assist.

Legally you need a Viet motorbike licence to ride in Vietnam and your travel insurance most likely will not cover you without one. We did the trip unlicensed.

Some shops will not rent you a bike if heading to the Delta - we had to try a few. They also went a hefty deposit (US$700ish) or a passport for the bike.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,566
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by robinwhite on 22/1/2013 at 16:08

It is very hard to find any agency who will allow and give you bike to heading towards the Delta. Its sounds like impossible. I tried but failed.

#3 robinwhite has been a member since 9/1/2013. Posts: 18

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.