Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Dalat or Mui Ne

Posted by AmandaJordan on 3/6/2007 at 20:54

Posted from within Vietnam.

I am in Saigon and will be heading north in a day or 2. Still deciding between dalat and mui ne before heading to nha trang. Don't have time to go to both mui ne and dalat. Heard right now wasn't the ideal season for kite surfing or wind surfing and am not really the type to just lounge on the beach. Has anyone been at mui ne in june or recently? What was the weather like? Also was interested in the hardy dalat canyoning tours in dalat. Has anyone used this company? Any opinions on which place is a more worthwhile stop would be very much appreciated.

Also any good recommendations on companies for the open buses?

#1 AmandaJordan has been a member since 15/1/2007. Posts: 12

Posted by ernieh on 3/6/2007 at 22:48

Hi Amanda,

If you are under time constraints I would pass on Mui Ne and go straight to Dalat to do some canoying, mtn. biking or trekking. If you are heading to Hanoi you will see some nice beaches in Nha Trang and Hoi An on the way.

I was in Dalat last week and the weather was nice and sunny. A little cooler than HMC.

Their are many open bus tour comapnies that operate in Ho Chi Minh city.

Open Bus Tour Companies

Sinh Cafe and Kim's Cafe offer the open bus ticket from HMC-Dalat-Nha Trang-Hoi An-Hue and Hanoi for $25.
An Phu is the second cheapest and offers the same for $17.
Orient Star is the cheapest at $16 (You can book at STA Travel located on 230 De Tham Street in District 1, HMC)
I picked Sinh Cafe because they are the most reputable.

Hotel Recommendations:

Dreams Hotel, 151 & 164 B Phan Dinh Phung Street
Tel: 8463 833748 - 822981

A single room with TV and ensuite bathroom is $10 and includes free internet and a very good breakfast. The owner is the nicest lady you will ever meet.

Hardy Dalat Adventure Sports is located at 57 Troung
Cong Dinh Street (5 minute walk from Dreams Hotel)

Recommended by Lonely Planet, Rough Guide and me
They offer 1 and 2 day treks, canoying, mtn. biking and combined tours of biking, trekking and absailing. Canoying trips are $18 or $22 depending on what program you pick.

Enjoy your time in Dalat!

#2 ernieh has been a member since 21/3/2007. Posts: 49

Posted by CatBa on 3/6/2007 at 23:51

I recommend you skip Mui Ne if you are heading to Nha Trang.

I confirm Dreams in Da Lat (they now have a sister hotel for back-up that is as equally good).

As for buses I ONLY RECOMMEND SINH and AN PHU - as they maintain their buses to a reasonable level and have decent tires.

AVOID, like the plague, T.M. BROTHERS and their partners CAMEL - frequently have worn tires have been photographed on these buses.

Trekking Travel and Hanh buses LACK MAINTENANCE - look out for Trekking bus 14LD0128, the back window on the drivers side has been broken for 2 MONTHS - now Hanh has a bus in similar condition.

As for guides I recommend Frommers (new edition) or RoughGuide - LP is history although they had a stringer hitting the hotspots for a quickie update. The guy spent 2 days in Hue - a recent tourism research project I have been involved in has taken 29 months footwork in the greater Hue area.

When you get to NHA TRANG check out:
Nha Nghi BA TU (Room 203)
34-G1 Nguyen Thien Thuat Street
058-522-466 / 0905-369-867

In HUE check out:
Nguyen Tri Phuong Hotel
56 Nguyen Tri Phuong, Hue
Tel: 054-829-282

#3 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by samsam on 4/6/2007 at 02:47

Dalat is better. I've been to both in June. Dalat was very pleasant. MuiNe can be described in 3 words - hot, humid, rubbish.

#4 samsam has been a member since 4/6/2007. Posts: 1

Posted by neek on 9/4/2010 at 09:52

The Dreams Hotel number seems to have changed.. I just called +84633633748 successfully. Called at 9:50am Vietnam time, spoke with an older lady who spoke perfectly good English.

#5 neek has been a member since 9/4/2010. Posts: 1

Posted by stillgoing on 11/4/2010 at 12:28

Hi all,
If you fancy of beach holiday, go to Mui ne. Some open tour have bus trip to Mui ne EVERY DAY, you just turn up in their office and check for the bus in the next day. Dont need to book in advance.
If you fancy of mountain driving, go to Dalat, some of mountain passes in Dalat is stunning. And enjoy the cool weather after some hot days in Saigon.
Good luck

#6 stillgoing has been a member since 10/4/2010. Posts: 20

Posted by lexkssnbrg on 12/4/2010 at 11:02

In your shoes, I would spend a few days in Mui Ne. We were there in last Aug and loved the beach and the sand dunes.

#7 lexkssnbrg has been a member since 5/5/2009. Posts: 53

Posted by oscarcat on 2/5/2012 at 21:23

+100 to Dreams hotel bang for buck may be the greatest little hotel in the whole of SEA.

#8 oscarcat has been a member since 11/11/2008. Location: Cambodia. Posts: 66

Posted by Alain2012 on 3/5/2012 at 01:02

Hi AmandaJordan,

I find out the travel information of Mui Ne here and Dalat here

Enjoy your vacation in Vietnam !

#9 Alain2012 has been a member since 3/5/2012. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.