Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Proof of ongoing travel

Posted by Cloudcatcher on 24/1/2013 at 09:40

I'm going to be travelling South East Asia for a few months. I have a ticket in to Vietnam, and a ticket out of Thailand some months later. However for my Vietnamese visa the embassy wants proof that I will be leaving Vietnam within 30 days. Do I have to book buses in advance? Any advice on how to go about this?

Thanks so much

#1 Cloudcatcher has been a member since 18/1/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by busylizzy on 24/1/2013 at 13:04

I suspect that they won't accept a bus ticket as the proof - but did you ask them?

Also - it may be that if you show an itinerary (just type one up - make it up if you need to) that shows that you plan leaving in 30 days, and presumably on through Cambodia or Laos and into Thailand - and then have your Thai flight out, they just let you get away with that. Otherwise, the plan might be to either get a cheap throw-away ticket out, or a higher-priced but fully refundable ticket.

Alternatively, you can forget about getting the visa at the embassy, and instead get a 'visa on arrival' through a site like this one: You pay $20 or so, get a 'pre-approval' letter that you print out and show at the airport, and they give you the visa when you arrive (for another $20-25, although I think I read that this is going up to $40 or so).

Plenty of info on this site about the Vietnam pre-approval letters - search around the forum for more info.

#2 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Posted by daawgon on 25/1/2013 at 21:38

Go with Lizzy's suggestion for the VOA - no one ever asked me for proof of onward travel when I've used it (5 times)

The stamping fee is indeed now $45. since Jan 1st.

#3 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,129
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by doctorhands on 26/1/2013 at 00:06

I'm surprised they asked for proof. I just applied last week for a 3 month visa and got it without any problems

#4 doctorhands has been a member since 26/1/2013. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.