Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam in May 2013

Posted by bismoystud on 13/2/2013 at 11:52

Hi,

I am planning a 2 week tour to vietnam in may.Dates are fixed. 5th may -start from saigon and go upwards via nha trang-hue-hanoi-halong bay and return back from hanoi on 19th may.
Heard that the weather is different in south, centre and the north.
I have just one concern-How is the rains and the humidity?Does it rain all day??
I dont want to waste whole days sitting in my hotel due to rains.

Please help.

#1 bismoystud has been a member since 13/6/2011. Posts: 10

Posted by jtdoesit on 13/2/2013 at 22:13

Posted from within Vietnam.

May would be ideal, as the weather is quite the same from South to North. There's not much rain yet in May, but as you make a stop at Hue, you should expect rain :) And why don't you consider visiting Da Nang - Hoi An . Hoi An is probably the best place to visit in Vietnam (at least, according to Wanderlust 2013 Travel Awards). I would also pay Sapa a visit while I'm in Hanoi

#2 jtdoesit has been a member since 13/2/2013. Posts: 3

Posted by bismoystud on 14/2/2013 at 00:47

Hi jtdoesit,

Actually would like if you help me plan my central vietnam plan for 3 nights. Basically my main aim is to do the haivan pass on a motorbike(topgear style) and visit the Unesco world heritage sites at hue and hoi an.
What would you recommend my plan should be. I would leave nha trang by train for central vietnam and would like to stay not more than 3 nights.
Thank you.

#3 bismoystud has been a member since 13/6/2011. Posts: 10

Posted by LolaNguyen on 14/2/2013 at 03:49 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

Tight, but not impossible. If you arrive early in Hoi An on day one you should be able to tick the old town off in a day, stay overnight in a hotel and do a motorbike transfer via the Hai Van Pass to Hue on day two, day three Hue. The weather in Central Vietnam at that time is perfect, dry and not too humid so you should get good views from Hai Van.

#4 LolaNguyen has been a member since 28/8/2012. Posts: 94
 Send LolaNguyen a private message 

Posted by Sam007 on 14/2/2013 at 06:59

The Hai Van pass is spectacular. We hired a driver and car from the hotel that we were staying but if you plan do do this route on a motorcycle then it will really take your breath away. The top is a bit of a tourist trap with vendors trying to sell you something. From China beach we passed some fishing villages before heading back to our hotel in Hue.

#5 Sam007 has been a member since 25/11/2012. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 10

Posted by bismoystud on 17/2/2013 at 22:52

Thanks Jenny.

Will definitely get in touch with your friend.

#6 bismoystud has been a member since 13/6/2011. Posts: 10

Posted by PhiMeow on 17/2/2013 at 23:47

My only comment is that riding motor bikes up and down Hai Van pass - very dangerous as cars and trucks like to overtake on blind curves - in fact, I think this is the Vietnamese favourite past time.

Just be aware.

#7 PhiMeow has been a member since 14/2/2013. Posts: 11
 Send PhiMeow a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.