Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Train TIckets

Posted by Lost_Vagabond on 23/2/2013 at 05:16

I'm planning on travelling to Vietnam about the 2nd of April and am planning on flying in to Hanoi and working my way down the countryover 3 weeks. As I will be stopping off for a few days in different parts is it possible to get a flexible ticket of sorts? What I mean by that instead of having to buy a ticket for all the legs e.g A ticket for Hanoi - Da Nang then a seperate ticket for Nha Trang.
It dosen't bother me either way but it was just so I was informed.

#1 Lost_Vagabond has been a member since 31/10/2012. Posts: 8

Posted by Want2BHappy on 24/2/2013 at 02:34

Not possible on the train. You could buy all the different tickets you need at the train station in Hanoi , but then you're stuck with them if you want to change your plans - more stops, fly some legs, head off in to the central highlands (where there is no train).

You can buy a ticket Hanoi - Saigon for a bus trip which allows you the flexibility of stopping off as often as you want along the way, but you're committed to a single company for the whole journey (even if you find out that they suck early on) and, imho, likely to end up in more of a tourist herd...

With three weeks, which is better than two weeks, but still not enough to see everything, I'd just make it up as I went along. Difficult to plan how long you want to stay somewhere until you get there,,,,

#2 Want2BHappy has been a member since 23/2/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 70
 Send Want2BHappy a private message   Where has Want2BHappy been? 

Posted by captainbkk on 24/2/2013 at 03:48

now do some simple logic thinking.
-all traininfo is via seat61. to find. trains are IMHO only worth it for longer overnite trips in a sleeper.
-For bus: you would need to make a new REServation anyway all the time- does it really matter if you buy a new ticket then again? For those ''stopover''tickets you ALSO need to choose a route, with the stops-you cannot just change mind after buying-or loose the money. These tickets tend to cost a little more (but are still so cheap for westerners thats not worth even thinking about)as all single tickets combined-thats for the added paperwork and sending details over.

#3 captainbkk has been a member since 16/2/2012. Posts: 472

Posted by daawgon on 25/2/2013 at 13:12

You will waste too much time traveling by train in Vietnam - suggest you mix in a few flights. Danang-Nha Trang is terribly long and boring by train - fly that sector.

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,133
 Send daawgon a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.