Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

vietnamese dong

Posted by nati on 20/6/2007 at 13:23

I have just left Vietnam and crossed the border into China and I have some Vietnamese Dong left...does anyone now if it is possible to exchange it anywhere out of Vietnam? We were told it was possible to exhcange it in the Bank of China, but that is not true..Any suggestions?

#1 nati has been a member since 20/8/2006. Posts: 2

Posted by carmen75 on 20/6/2007 at 15:03

Posted from within Vietnam.

I don't think you'll be able to change it anyway...looks like you'll have to make a return trip to use it all up!! Otherwise, there's sure to be a black market exchange place- just be careful you're getting real banknotes, and an ok exchange rate. Good luck:-)

#2 carmen75 has been a member since 19/4/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by CatBa on 20/6/2007 at 19:14

Posted from within Vietnam.

The Dong is 'non-convertible' as is the Chinese Yuan / RMB although both currencies are popular with the shady characters that hang around at the borders.

You could wrap it in aluminum foil and the send it registered to a charity in VietNam ... or come back and visit again.

#3 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by gohmalaysia on 20/6/2007 at 20:34

If u r in Malaysia you can sell them at at any money changers in Kiala Lumpur No problem there.

#4 gohmalaysia has been a member since 18/6/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by nati on 21/6/2007 at 19:12

Thanks to everyone for the advice...I guess I have a good excuse to go back to Vietnam!!

#5 nati has been a member since 20/8/2006. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.