Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

How Long in Hue

Posted by Benno on 6/4/2013 at 00:29

My partner and I are looking to spend about 4N in Hue this year (August) is this too long to spend here? Hue seems to get a bit of a bum wrap and I don't want to spend the days doing nothing.

#1 Benno has been a member since 18/1/2012. Posts: 36

Posted by caseyprich on 6/4/2013 at 00:41

Depends on if you're going to use it as a base-camp to explore some of the surrounding area. Give yourself the day of arrival, a whole day to explore the city, a day to take a trip up to the pass, a day to explore some of the temples in the surrounding area. That's four nights. I rather liked the laid back nature of the town within the wall, it has a very different feel from Da Nang and Hoi'an.

#2 caseyprich has been a member since 3/3/2010. Location: China. Posts: 1,281
 Send caseyprich a private message   Where has caseyprich been? 

Posted by Geer1 on 6/4/2013 at 00:47

Main attractions in Hue are the Citadel and Tombs which can be seen in 1 long day or 2 part days. Can do a DMZ tour but not sure they are really worth it from what I have read, if interested in war maybe just go to the tunnels instead as they seem to be the main thing worth seeing.

I would say 3 days probably max imo is what I would spend there, I did it in 2 days myself and would probably do the same if I went back again.

#3 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by MADMAC on 6/4/2013 at 23:18

Why are you trying to figure this out now? My advice would be not to attach a timeline to your itinerary. Leave when the place no longer interests you. If you are enjoying it, stay until you don't or you run out of time. Don't overplan.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by busylizzy on 7/4/2013 at 04:30

Madmac is right. Keep it as flexible as you can as your plans will change.

Four days in Hue is good if you've got the time up your sleeve - it really depends on the rest off your itinerary and your total travel time. If you're on a tight schedule, then cut it down to 2-3 full days. If you're on a really tight schedule, I'd suggest leaving it in favour of other parts of Vietnam. One of the things I enjoyed doing in Hue was an all-day motorbike trip across the DMZ to the Vinh Moc tunnels. I hired a motorbike driver through my guesthouse (I wasn't game to drive myself in Vietnam at that point!). He made various stops along the way, through rice fields, temples, the tunnels, various other historical places of interest. It was a long day - but fun and interesting. The tunnels are esp worth a visit.

#5 busylizzy has been a member since 31/12/2007. Location: New Zealand. Posts: 2,153
 Send busylizzy a private message   Where has busylizzy been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.