Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Saigon train station-Pham Ngu Lao area bus?

Posted by QWE on 26/5/2013 at 07:00

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi,
does anyone know which bus to take from Saigon train station to Pham Ngu Lao' the "backpacker's area" close to all the sights?

What buses can I take and what is the fare?

Thanks

#1 QWE has been a member since 26/4/2013. Posts: 25

Posted by Geer1 on 26/5/2013 at 09:51

It isn't very far and the bus station you would go to (Ben Thanh) is still a decent walk from accommodation. You might as well hire a cab or motodop. Looks like cab will only be 50k Dong and motodop can probably get for 20-40k.

#3 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by QWE on 26/5/2013 at 20:52

Geer1, I'm sure I can just hop on a bus at a bus stop (not station), I see on google map there are public buses around the train station, I'm just not sure which ones go to the backpackers area, so I figured I'd ask here. Maybe sb. has taken the bus.

#4 QWE has been a member since 26/4/2013. Posts: 25

Posted by QWE on 26/5/2013 at 23:19

I guess I found the answer. Buses 13 or 65 should take me to the area. Will see.

#5 QWE has been a member since 26/4/2013. Posts: 25

Posted by Geer1 on 26/5/2013 at 23:58

QWE, the closest a bus will take you to Pham Ngu Lao is the Ben Thanh bus station which is located at the roundabout south of the market. This is where buses 13 and 65 will take you(not to Pham Ngu Lao itself). From there you still have to walk over a kilometer to get to Pham Ngu Lao. Taking the bus will likely cost you 20k dong, 10k for yourself and 10k for your bag.

The train station is only 2.8 kms away and supposedly a taxi will only cost you 50k dong(as per wikitravel). A motodop probably around 40k depending on your bargaining skills.
Might as well pay the extra dollar and take a moto/taxi and go directly to where you want to go. Unless you just really want to take a bus and then go for a sweaty walk... Heck if money is such an issue just walk the whole way, only a little over twice as far to go and free.

#6 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by MotHaiBa on 28/5/2013 at 16:06

QWE, you've probably worked it out by now - you take bus number 13 on one of its stops outside the station on CMT8 road. The bus terminates at Ben Thanh bus station where you'll need to then walk the short distance to PNL, or take a taxi if you have lots of luggage. The fare should be VND 5,000 for yourself and VND 5,000 for your luggage.
For a great resource have a look at the bus route map of Sagon at http://www.vidiani.com/maps/maps_of_asia/maps_of_vietnam/large_detailed_city_bus_map_of_ho_chi_minh-city.jpg

Incidentally if you take the number 13 in the other direction it finishes at Cu Chi. Would make an interesting day out.

#7 MotHaiBa has been a member since 3/5/2011. Posts: 57
 Send MotHaiBa a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.