Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hotels in July - to book, or not to book?

Posted by Dutch on 27/5/2013 at 09:24

Hi everyone,

I've been having a hard time trying to find a conclusive answer to his question:

is it advisable to book hotels in advance for the month of July?

We'll be travelling from south to north, on the typical tourist trail. HCMC to Hanoi + Halong Bay. We're trying to go for the midrange hotels.

We would prefer to be able to move around freely (without being too much committed to an itinerary/booked hotels), but are a bit worried about all the hotels being full.

It would be great to hear your opinion and experiences on this matter.

Thanks in advance!

#1 Dutch has been a member since 19/3/2012. Posts: 11

Posted by NYTim on 27/5/2013 at 11:28

I would only book rooms for your arrival day. July is off season. You will have no problems finding accommodation but as for the weather.......

#2 NYTim has been a member since 11/9/2009. Posts: 106

Posted by tuntravel48 on 28/5/2013 at 22:06

Posted from within Vietnam.

Careful read the reviews about hotel that you book on Tripadvisor or Lonelyplanet. I think you should do some hunt to find the hotel in promotion and, From my opinion, you should book the hotel in advance :)

Cheers
Tuntravel

#3 tuntravel48 has been a member since 20/5/2013. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 13
 Send tuntravel48 a private message   Website 

Posted by TheLeapingLemur on 31/5/2013 at 01:28

I'd book accommodation for the day you arrive in Ho Chi Minh and after that it is really easy to get accommodation when you get arrive in each town. There are always lots of "touts" waiting to ferry you onto "their" hotel, normally carrying fliers so you have an idea of what you'll get before you get there. There are a few on The Leaping Lemur website (I added a couple from my trip as well).

The only other ones I'd book are if you are heading off of the beaten track - i.e. Phng Nha. Otherwise, as already mentioned, it'll be low season still.
Have fun!
Elli xx

#4 TheLeapingLemur has been a member since 20/11/2012. Posts: 13

Posted by IceOleg on 12/6/2013 at 23:44

Posted from within Vietnam.

Definitely no need to book all the hotels on the road. I live in Vietnam for nearly a year now and travel quite a lot and never book anything in advance!

The only things you should consider in advance - is the hotels inside the national parks (Cat Tien, for example). The parks don't have a good infrastructure yet and have a very limited opportunities to stay inside.

#5 IceOleg has been a member since 12/6/2013. Location: Russia. Posts: 3
 Send IceOleg a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.