Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Motorcycling Safety In Viet Nam

Posted by queenzelda on 3/7/2007 at 09:08

Hi Guys

I ride bikes in Australia, but after watching a number of friends loose limbs/fracture skulls I'm now a total safety pedant.

How easy is it hire helmets in Viet Nam?(I'm specifically thinking of Phu Quoc, but general info would be great) or is it a case of BYO?

Any other riding info would be much appreciated.

Thanks

#1 queenzelda has been a member since 13/6/2007. Posts: 4

Posted by Red on 3/7/2007 at 10:55

Hi queenzelda,
We hired motorbikes in Hue and Hoi-Ann, we got helmets with the bikes in Hue, but didn't feel we needed them in Hoi-Ann as we headed out of town where is wasn't as busy.Not sure of Phu Quoc.But I'm sure they will have one if you ask.
Good Luck

#2 Red has been a member since 22/5/2006. Posts: 46

Posted by carmen75 on 3/7/2007 at 17:15

Posted from within Vietnam.

it's a totally different world. in the cities the traffic moves pretty slowly, and so there are mainly only small 'bingle's'. most of the helmets you get with hired bikes are old, and you don't know their history. why not just buy one when you get to vietnam. they're readily available, and then your protection will be assured (well as assured as it can be anyway!)

ut motorcycling is a GREAT way to see the country

#3 carmen75 has been a member since 19/4/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by queenzelda on 3/7/2007 at 19:28

Cheers guys

#4 queenzelda has been a member since 13/6/2007. Posts: 4

Posted by CatBa on 4/7/2007 at 03:04

Most Foreigners renting a motorcycle in VietNam are illegal.

The legislation allows that unlicenced Foreigners may drive motorcycles with an engine capacity not exceeding 70cc.

Most motorcycles are over 100cc. Most are not insured!

As from 2008 JAN 01 helmets MUST be worn or suffer monetary loss to a cop. Bribes start at VND100,000 for Vietnamese; for Foreigners the sky is the limit. Remember that police have the legal authority to seize and impound vehicles.

#5 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by peterANDsharon on 4/7/2007 at 12:33

We've hired many bikes before and have only been offered a helmet once. This was in Da Nang.
Apparently helmets are to be worn by law, but I it's widely ignored! I have seen several "minor' bingles and 2 serious bingles. Our friends who live there all wear helmets so I guess it's up to you!
I have paid US$4 per day, 50,000VND a day as well as 15,000VND per hour for hire of a bike. Petrol (xang) is 15000VND per litre from vendors on the side of the road. You will see small bottles often sitting on a brick out the front of most shops/stalls. The petrol/gas stations are a bit cheaper but not as common to find! I also suggest topping up the tank when you 1st rent a bike as it guaranteed to be near empty!

we have posted some of our pics online:

http://peternsharon.gallery.netspace.net.au/VIETNAM-JUNE-2007

http://peternsharon.gallery.netspace.net.au/Holiday-April-May-2006-VIETNAM

http://peternsharon.customer.netspace.net.au/

#6 peterANDsharon has been a member since 21/4/2007. Posts: 7

Posted by queenzelda on 4/7/2007 at 13:01

You'd have to be crazy not to wear one surely?

Are international licences valid? I am licensed to ride any capacity motorcycle in Australia.

#7 queenzelda has been a member since 13/6/2007. Posts: 4

Posted by CatBa on 4/7/2007 at 16:45

One of the requirements of obtaining a Vietnamese driving licence is the ability to understand and converse in the Vietnamese language.

I guess this makes it easier for the police to demand their bribes.

#8 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by peterANDsharon on 4/7/2007 at 17:09

i agree with CatBa post#8. Knowing how to read & asking for directions helps. I got lost in Nha Trang back streets recently nad luckily i could read enough to VN to get my way back.

#9 peterANDsharon has been a member since 21/4/2007. Posts: 7

Posted by biahoi on 4/7/2007 at 18:04

"Remember that police have the legal authority to seize and impound vehicles."

Are they really confiscated motos from foreigners?

#10 biahoi has been a member since 4/7/2007. Posts: 8

Posted by biahoi on 4/7/2007 at 18:05

"Remember that police have the legal authority to seize and impound vehicles."

Are they really confiscated motos from foreigners?

#11 biahoi has been a member since 4/7/2007. Posts: 8

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.