Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam - Visa On Arrival Photo Requirements - help please

Posted by kjsuf1 on 16/6/2013 at 07:33

Hi there,

I am about to go to Vietnam in 6 sleeps (bit excited).
I am using the Visa on Arrival service and have just noticed that it asks for a 4 cm x 6 cm passport photo. I have obtained regular Australian Passport sized photos which are considerably smaller than 4 x 6 cm and do not show shoulders.
I am arranging the visas for four people one of which obtained the correct size and now im stuck trying to decide if myself and the other two travellers should go and pay to have more pics taken at 4cm x 6cm size.

Does anyone know if the VOA desk in Ho Chi Minh city is fussy about the photo size? Some websites say 'standard passport photo' however the form clearly says 4cm x 6cm which is much larger than the regular Australian Passport sized photo.

Any help or personal experience stories would be appreciated. I also have been informed that you can have your photo taken at the airport however I have a connecting flight within 2.5 hours of arriving so would prefer to avoid this.

#1 kjsuf1 has been a member since 16/6/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by daawgon on 16/6/2013 at 11:58

Honestly, I just don't think they're all that picky about those photos in Vietnam - I never saw any being refused, and I've done VOA 5 times. It often says 2 photos, but they only ask for 1 at the VOA desk. Hanoi is far more efficient than HCMC. Be sure to download and complete the "Form on Arrival" so you can go to the head of that line - just do a search or ask your VOA provider.

Even if you arrive with no photos, they just take your picture on the spot!

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,129
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by kjsuf1 on 17/6/2013 at 20:30

Thanks very much daawgon !

I thought I was going to be processing the VOA in Hanoi as my flight is to Hanoi. However I was later told by the airline that it included a two hour stop over in HCM - I made some inquiries with the VOA agent and they informed me that i would need to get my VOA from HCM before taking the domestic flight to HAnoi. (It seemed a bit unusual since its an international flight - but I do understand if they process it that way)

So I now have only 2.5 hours between arriving in HCM and departing to Hanoi and I'm quite stressed reading stories that the VOA process can take up to 2 hours or more at HCM.

I'm just crossing my fingers at this point and hoping for the best. Worst case scenario we lose one night accomodation at Hanoi and stay another night at HCM city.

Thanks for the advice though. Any other tips are welcome!

#3 kjsuf1 has been a member since 16/6/2013. Posts: 2

Posted by daawgon on 17/6/2013 at 23:00

That flight between HCMC and Hanoi is a domestic flight, and you also need to change terminals (International to Domestic) in Saigon (just a short walk across the parking lot).

You might want to check with other Aussies who frequent VN about those photos - hundreds of them on Tripadvisor VN

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,129
 Send daawgon a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.