Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hue to Hanoi - train or plane?

Posted by dav2205 on 8/7/2013 at 07:50

I'm due to travel from Hue to Hanoi as part of a trip to Vietnam in October (a whirlwind 2 week tour of the country!). Pricing things up it seems to only be a few pounds difference between plane and train so was just looking for some recommendations from more seasoned Vietnam travellers. Options are -

Overnight train from Hue to Hanoi ~£35 from what I can see on Seat61

Stay another night in Hue, catch the early train to Danang and fly from there to Hanoi on an early afternoon flight. Plan would be get 8am train to Danang, arriving at 10:30 and getting the 13:15 flight to Hanoi. Total price for all this would be just over £40 (£35 for the flight, £2-3 for the train and £6ish for the hotel which has been split between me and other travellers)

The flight would mean us arriving in Hanoi a few hours later, but I think we'd be better rested overall rather than taking the train. Any help is much appreciated.

#1 dav2205 has been a member since 8/7/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by Geer1 on 9/7/2013 at 00:22

If you like scenery and caves then take the train from Hue to Dong Hoi. Check out paradise cave then take train the rest of the way to Hanoi.

If you feel you don't have time or aren't interested then as you have already mentioned it pretty much comes down to preference. Sleeper trains aren't too bad and you should be able to get a half decent sleep as long as you can sleep through a little bit of noise.

One other thing to remember in particular when flying is the taxi cost. Hanoi's airport is a ways out of town, Danang's is close to train station though.

#2 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.