Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

2 weeks in december: north or south (or both)?

Posted by valentinaforno on 2/9/2013 at 10:25

Hi all, I am planning a 2 weeks family trip (4 adults) in vietnam in december, Xmas/New Year's time (couldn't take vacation at a different time). I wonder if it's best to stick to a region (north or south) or if it's ok to try and travel from one end to the other. If sticking to one area only, I need suggestions to wether visit north or south Vietnam. Thanks!

#1 valentinaforno has been a member since 30/8/2012. Posts: 33

Posted by Want2BHappy on 2/9/2013 at 13:24

South.

#2 Want2BHappy has been a member since 23/2/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 70
 Send Want2BHappy a private message   Where has Want2BHappy been? 

Posted by travellingsarah on 4/9/2013 at 04:09 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

In two weeks I'd stick to one area and the south will be warmer in December. You can get city, countryside and beach in the south which should fill your time for a couple of weeks. But if you want to explore further afield you could fly up to Hanoi or the centre for a few days - Hanoi will be cool but should be dry and the centre will possibly be very wet but unless it's flooded you can still have a good visit.

#3 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Send travellingsarah a private message   Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by valentinaforno on 4/9/2013 at 04:23

Thank you. I was thinking to do this itinerary:

- HCMC (2 days)
- fly to Hue
- visit Hue and Hoi An (4 days)
- fly to Da Lat and visit Cat Tien national park (2 days)
- go back to HCMC and visit the Mekong Delta (3 days)
- end of trip

What do you think? Is Cat Tien worth the visit or do you have other places to recommend? Is 2 days in Hue and 2 days in Hoi An enough?
Any suggestions?

Thanks!!!

#4 valentinaforno has been a member since 30/8/2012. Posts: 33

Posted by valentinaforno on 8/9/2013 at 05:39

Thank you! I'm glad you think that 4 days for Hue and Hoi An are ok, some people told me it's too much as they are very small. For the Mekong area, I was thinking to do a 3 days cruise.

#5 valentinaforno has been a member since 30/8/2012. Posts: 33

Posted by Willstrong on 18/9/2013 at 10:28

Good plan but i recomment you to go to Mui Ne beach than Da Lat.
-The first 2 days in HCM city, you can stay in Pham Ngu Lao street, you can look for travel information there, visit around HCM (zoo, park, waterpark, pagoda, church, museum,...)
-Hue, i've never been there so i can't tell you. Hoi An old town, at night they turn on the lanterns, no neon light, the street only for walking and bicycle. You can take a day tour to four islands.
-Relax at Mui Ne beach and see the Suoi Tien spring, sand dunes.
-Back to HCM for delta mekong, Cu Chi tunnel,...

#6 Willstrong has been a member since 18/9/2013. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 8
 Send Willstrong a private message   Where has Willstrong been?   Facebook  

Posted by valentinaforno on 18/9/2013 at 11:26

Thank you Willstrong. In the end, my family decided to change itinerary.

We will fly to Hanoi, then Halong Bay, Hue, Hoi An, Saigon, Mekong Delta, and back home. No beach time unfortunately...

#7 valentinaforno has been a member since 30/8/2012. Posts: 33

Posted by Willstrong on 18/9/2013 at 11:35

Well ha long bay is better than mui ne. Still salt water...

#8 Willstrong has been a member since 18/9/2013. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 8
 Send Willstrong a private message   Where has Willstrong been?   Facebook  

Posted by valentinaforno on 18/9/2013 at 11:38

Cold though!

#9 valentinaforno has been a member since 30/8/2012. Posts: 33

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.