Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Mekong Delta 4 days - suggestions?

Posted by arianna1511 on 8/9/2013 at 05:24

Hi

I'm travelling alone to Vietnam in October and I'm planning to spend 4 nights/5 days in the Mekong Delta region. I'll arrive in Cat Tho on Wednesday at 15.45 and I have my flight back to Europe on Sunday at 18 from HCMC.

I'd like to make the most of this time, with an eco-tourism approach to the delta (hiking, outdoors, supporting local initiatives, etc.). Ideally, I'd like to avoid crowds as much as possible, and take organized tours only when there's no other option.

I have two specific questions but I would be grateful for *any* recommendations about places to see/things to do that you might have.

Questions:
1) I was considering Can Tho, Ben Tre and Chau Doc, would that be too much in such a short time?
2) I know forum rules say you shouldn't ask for recommendations about accomodation in the forum, but I can't find any reviews of hostels/hotels/guesthouses/homestay in this area, can anyone give some advice on this? Homestay preferred, do I need to book in advance?

Really really grateful if you can share your experiences /recommendations!

Thanks,
Arianna

#1 arianna1511 has been a member since 8/9/2013. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/9/2013 at 20:40 admin

I mentioned this in another Delta thread, but here's a post on a homestay in Vinh Long that some friends of mine did earlier this year. Maybe worth a look. There's accommodation suggestions on the destination pages for the places you mention -- should be a good starting point.

Can Tho, Ban Tre and Chau Doc is a lot to cover. I'd recommend dropping Chau Doc and Ben Tre as well if you decide to try a homestay like the one linked to above.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,568
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by gamehh on 13/9/2013 at 09:37

I think you can go Ho Chi Minh- Chau Doc - Ha Tien-Phu Quoc by bus and back to Ho Chi Minh City by air. 2day 1 night at Chau Doc and 3 night at Phu Quoc.
you can explore the Mekong Delta, not only the river, the Mekong Delta has mountains, beaches, forests and unique local culture in Chau Doc

Wish you happy journey
if you want have more information, contact with me : sutugermini@yahoo.com

#3 gamehh has been a member since 13/9/2013. Posts: 6

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.