Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Weather In September-October

Posted by fergal25 on 15/9/2013 at 10:25

Ill be leaving Now on the 27th September for Hanoi And going South leaving on the 17th October.Getting in the More Popular Destinations i suppose.
Anyway I was wondering just getting around to Clothes packing and my mind is boggled . First of All is Hanoi as Hot as the forecasts predict high 30's I imagine that would be unbearable and is the rain as bad as it sounds or does it last for a certain time not like the persistant rain here in Ireland. I,ll be there for 4 nights and then going toward Hue-Hoian which will be in Monsoon season.I was hoping to pack light enough.But the weather seems so varied I really think ill bring my warddrobe.Would i need a hardcore Set of waterproofs or would a few light ponchos suffice. Any tips would be Great for those who have been there.

Thanks Fergal

#1 fergal25 has been a member since 24/7/2013. Posts: 9

Posted by daawgon on 17/9/2013 at 12:44

First of all, don't pack very much at all. Laundry is cheap and good - 24 hr turnaround at most small hotels. I use a 40L pack and it works great. I carry a nylon rain jacket that breathes, but you could also buy a poncho here. Clothes are not really a problem - this is casual heaven. The worst you could do would be to bring the kitchen sink in heavy luggage. Most important is shoes - rugged, light and simple/comfortable. I insist on gel insoles because some walking here can be very hard on western feet.

No one dresses up here for anything

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Posted by fergal25 on 17/9/2013 at 12:56

Thank You So Much.That Puts me at ease an awful lot.I dont have much clothes at all really.It Was more the about how severe the rain actually is. I would have had to buy a good set waterproofs or not.The Bag i have Is a Vango Contour and i was wondering would That be okay in the weather because it's only water resistant or buy a new one. Thank you again Daawgon

#3 fergal25 has been a member since 24/7/2013. Posts: 9

Posted by travellingsarah on 17/9/2013 at 19:27 TF writer

I'm not sure where you've seen that it gets to late 30s in Hanoi in late October - it doesn't! Mid 20s is more likely. And little rain at that time of year. More rain is likely in hue/hoi an though. You'll find weather information in the location section and wires on this site for both locations. Daawgon is spot on with packing suggestions though.

#4 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by fergal25 on 18/9/2013 at 05:49

Cheers for the tip sarah Great Info in that section.The websites I was checking for weather was putting Hanoi in the Mid 30's Accuweather etc but i know these are not always accurate.
Thanks
fergal

#5 fergal25 has been a member since 24/7/2013. Posts: 9

Posted by Geer1 on 18/9/2013 at 08:55

You can buy cheap waterproof covers for your backpack. Nice to have but I never actually needed mine since you rarely have your big backpack outside other then walking to a bus or into a guesthouse etc.

#6 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by somtam2000 on 18/9/2013 at 09:23 admin

Hoi An is flooding, and probably other areas due to a tropical storm and fat tides.

Know you're not there yet, but thought I'd post this here as you'll be wading through there in a month or so ;-)

#7 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by Willstrong on 18/9/2013 at 09:33

Hello, i'm vietnamese, i live in Ho Chi Minh city.
It's mostly raining everyday here but not long or heavy. Shorts and t-shirt are all you need.

#8 Willstrong has been a member since 18/9/2013. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 8
 Where has Willstrong been?   Facebook  

Posted by fergal25 on 18/9/2013 at 11:42

Thank You Everyone.Sorted :)
WOW and a massive thanks for the Heads up On Hoi an.Those Pictures Are Eyeopening For Sure. I'll Be in Hanoi Until 1st october then Down to Hue around the 3rd and from there i was intending definetly on Hoian. I Will have to think of something else but thank you very very much.I'll Pack the Wetsuit :)
Appreciated
fergal

#9 fergal25 has been a member since 24/7/2013. Posts: 9

Posted by hannatana1977 on 27/11/2013 at 20:53

Posted from within Vietnam.

Hi, the weather in Vietnam around September to October is still quite hot. In October, it can be cooler a litter bit. Some times, there is rain or storm during this time.

#10 hannatana1977 has been a member since 27/11/2013. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.