Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Siagon to Phnom Phen

Posted by steveandlesley on 7/8/2007 at 10:12

Posted from within Vietnam.

How easy is it to get from Siagon to PP by boat ? has anyone done this recently ? any recomendations for agents in Siagon ?

Many thanks

Stev and Lesley

#1 steveandlesley has been a member since 20/3/2007. Posts: 16

Posted by rakhee2108 on 7/8/2007 at 23:35

It's very easy to travel from Saigon to PP via the Mekong Delta. It's much cheaper to book a 2day/1night tour or a 3day/2night tour (overnight stop in My Tho and Chau Doc) rather than traveling independently. The latter tour is at a more comfortable pace. There are loads of travel agencies/guesthouses offering tours in Saigon - we booked with TNK Travel (De Tham Street)and were happy with the tour in June 2007. Approx cost: 35USD incl travel, English speaking tour guide, accommodation (not food&drink). Group size: 12 people

#2 rakhee2108 has been a member since 8/3/2007. Posts: 55

Posted by somtam2000 on 8/8/2007 at 12:19 admin

Hi Stev,

As rakhee says, you can't go all the way from saigon -- at least not by regular passenger boats. There are fast and slow boats running from Chau Doc to Phnom Penh every day -- and while it may be cheaper to do the whole shebang on a tour, it is easy to do it solo as well. If you do swing through the Delta enroute, would suggest stopping at Can Tho rather than My Tho -- there's more to do and the floating markets better at Can Tho.

Hope that helps.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,576
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by dplast on 8/8/2007 at 23:48

Posted from within Vietnam.

This is how I did it http://vietnam-now.com/id7. Though, I was also just there and did it by bus not the tour bus but a private bus (Asian version of Greyhound)it's much more effecient you can read about it on my blog - http://dougsasia.blogspot.com/. Personally I hate the tours, but will admit that over here they are cheap and convenient. Though, you miss out in experiencing the people who live here that you will meet on the bus.

#4 dplast has been a member since 6/5/2005. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.