Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

typhoon, where should I go?

Posted by Cata on 8/11/2013 at 11:47

Posted from within Vietnam.

I have just arrived from Hanoi to Hue this morning, and when I get here i'm informed that there is a big typhoon coming over this Sunday.
I'm supposed to travel to Hoi An tomorrow afterno (the staff at the place where in staying tools me I should do this, becauseif not I will have to wait until Monday to keep on heeding south).
But I don't know where would it be safest to stay another the storm, if here poor at hoi an. Or if would both be the same...
Any thoughts??
another possibility is to take a train or bus back to Hanoi, where it is supposed to be weaker.

#1 Cata has been a member since 17/9/2013. Posts: 4

Posted by Geer1 on 8/11/2013 at 14:48

Hue is further inland so is likely safer. Both are directly in the center of the path the typhoon is expected to take though.

Heading back to Hanoi is an idea but if possible you could try to get down to Nha Trang and avoid it and its affects altogether. I personally would likely sit put as I would actually be interested in seeing the damage etc but that isn't necessarily the best option.

I am guessing Hoi An isn't going to be as nice a location the first few days after the typhoon. Probably a lot of cleanup to be done.

#2 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by SBE on 8/11/2013 at 21:01

Here's a map of the expected path.

http://www.businessinsider.com/map-of-super-typhoon-haiyan-path-2013-11

#3 SBE has been a member since 14/4/2008. Location: Global Village. Posts: 2,037
 Send SBE a private message   Where has SBE been? 

Posted by Captain_Bob on 10/11/2013 at 05:43

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/asia-pacific/2013/11/interactive-maptracking-typhoon-haiyan-20131191288605973.html

#4 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,918

Posted by Geer1 on 10/11/2013 at 15:51

Just wondering what you ended up doing and if you saw any damage at all. Looks like it ended up going further north then anticipated and died down fairly significantly before making landfall. It sure made a mess of the Philippines though.

#5 Geer1 has been a member since 14/9/2012. Posts: 540
 Send Geer1 a private message   Where has Geer1 been? 

Posted by Cata on 11/11/2013 at 04:53

Posted from within Vietnam.

Thamks everyone for the tips.
I finnaly stayed at Hue.
It wasnt strong at all, just rain, almost no wind.
Apparently the center of it was over the sea, and it headed north.

#6 Cata has been a member since 17/9/2013. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.