Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Land travel tips pleeeeease: Saigon to Hanoi

Posted by oranjelamb on 12/8/2007 at 21:27

Hi travelfishers:

I am planning a trip from Saigon up to Hanoi. Only have about a week so if anyone has any suggestions on land travel that'd be most helpful.

Thinking of
a) the open bus trail Saigon-Nha Trang-Hoi An-Hue-Hanoi (staying a night at Hoi An), or
b)Saigon-Danang-Hanoi (staying a night at Danang) by train, or
c)a possible combination of bus and train?

Could be a little strenous considering I don't have that much time, but I'm willing to rough it out. I could fly Saigon-Hanoi I suppose, but what's fun in that? ;) Also want to make short stops along the way so don't mind stretching it across a few days.

Big thanks and cheers!

#1 oranjelamb has been a member since 12/8/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by CatBa on 13/8/2007 at 02:08

Posted from within Vietnam.

Consider the fact that it takes between 30-40 hours by rail to get between the biggest cities.

Always recommend that anyone with a week should stick in either HCMC or Ha Noi.

Out of those two places Ha Noi has more to do in a short time - including Ha Long Bay.

#2 CatBa has been a member since 5/3/2007. Posts: 349

Posted by somtam2000 on 13/8/2007 at 06:48 admin

Totally agree with CatBa. Take a look at our Vietnam trip plans to get an idea of the amount of time to get around. Likewise agree the north is best suited to a short trip. In a week you could sample Hanoi, two night trip to Ha Long Bay and perhaps another side trip -- save the rest for another trip!

Though just reading again, you're starting in Saigon, in which case I'd suggest a few nights in Sgn then a loop through the Delta -- p'haps Vinh Long and Can Tho.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by jstroke on 13/8/2007 at 18:01

I'd definitely fly from Hue to Hanoi. $60 an hour flight. You might want to fly from Nah Trang to Hoi Ahn as well. It's also cheap and cuts off a long leg. Book well in advance. The flights fill up quickly.

#4 jstroke has been a member since 13/8/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by oranjelamb on 14/8/2007 at 07:26

Hmm that's a thought. How can I book online for Vietnam Airlines?

I did look at the travel planner -- I was sorta going for the abbreviated version of the 10 day top to tail (the other way around), and will be skipping a few stops. Say I still want to take some short trips on the bus, is it reliable?

Thanks a bunch! :)

#5 oranjelamb has been a member since 12/8/2007. Posts: 2

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/8/2007 at 06:52 admin

ok, with seven days, you could do something like:

Saigon minibus to Mui Ne, then the overnight bus north to Nha Trang. Fly from Nha Trang to Da Nang. Take the train from Da Nang to Hue (one of the prettiest train trips in the country) then fly to Hanoi.

Even that is really crammed for a week -- maybe fly or take an overnight train from Saigon to Nha Trang too and skip Mui Ne.

Buses are reliable, just not overly comfortable - train is preferable for longer journeys.

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,706
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by TravelingGirl on 3/12/2007 at 23:29

I will be traveling to Vietnam in February, spending the first couple weeks in the South on my own. I want to travel up north for approximately 20 days and will be traveling solo. What are some of the don't-miss sights (other than Halong, Hanoi)? Should I book a private tour in the US or wait until I arrive in Vietnam? I realize this will be pricy since I will be on my own.

Thanks a bunch!

#7 TravelingGirl has been a member since 3/12/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by TravelingGirl on 3/12/2007 at 23:31

I will be traveling to Vietnam in February, spending the first couple weeks in the South on my own. I want to travel up north for approximately 20 days and will be traveling solo. What are some of the don't-miss sights (other than Halong, Hanoi)? Should I book a private tour in the US or wait until I arrive in Vietnam? I realize this will be pricy since I will be on my own.

Thanks a bunch!

#8 TravelingGirl has been a member since 3/12/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by TravelingGirl on 3/12/2007 at 23:31

sorry- I didn't mean to tag on to this thread!

#9 TravelingGirl has been a member since 3/12/2007. Posts: 5

Posted by rigocampos01 on 13/6/2011 at 14:12

Forever travel glow with no too much of baggage as thisimproves your litheness and it also become easier for you to go from one placeto the other with no trouble.

#10 rigocampos01 has been a member since 13/6/2011. Posts: 1

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.