Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Itinerary Cambodia / Vietnam / Laos / Northern Thailand

Posted by schwev on 18/11/2013 at 16:56

Hi All,

We are planning a 10 weeks trip Southeast Asia from mid January to March.

Some background:
We are a couple in their 30's. I like beach, culture and food and my husband likes outdoorsy stuff such as jungles, trekking and nature. We both don't like places overrun by tourists.

As it is quite a long trip for us, our budget is low to mid range, ideally boutique accommodation (around £50 a night) with the occasional splurge. We can afford flights between locations and don't need to bus it unless the route is particularly scenic.

We've recently been to Cambodia ( Phnom Penh and Siem Reap), Thailand's beaches and BKK, Burma and Bali, Tea Plantations in India.

Places we would like to go to are: Coastal Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, Malaysia, Indonesia.

I thought of the following itinerary:

Day 1: Flight BKK - Phnom Penh - 1 ON Phnom Penh
Day 2: Drive Phnom Penh to Kep- 3 ON Keep
Day 5: Drive to Ha Tien and Boat to Phu Quoc - 5 ON Phu Quoc
Day 10: Flight to Con Dao via Saigon - 5 ON Con Dao (we have a six senses hotel voucher we would like to use there)
Day 15: Flight to Saigon - 2 ON Saigon
Day 17: Flight to Danang - 2 ON Danang
Day 19: Car to Hoi An - 2 ON Hoi An
Day 21: Car to Hue - 2 ON Hue
Day 23: Train or flight to Hanoi - 2 ON Hanoi (is there anything on the way to Hanoi worth seeing?)
Day 25: Car to Halong - 1 ON boat Halong Bay
Day 26: Car to Hanoi and evening flight to Luang Prabang - 4 ON Luang Probing
Day 31: Slow boat trip to Huay Xai - 2 ON on the boat
Day 33: Car to Chiang Mai - 3 ON Chiang Mai
Day 36: Flight to Kuala Lumpur

The reason why we are only spending little time around Hoi An beaches is because of the weather - it sounds like it will be quite cold in the north of Vietnam, is that right? So we thought Phu Quoc and Con Dao would be a better idea.

Then 2 - 3 weeks Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur, George Town, Langkawi, Taman Negara, Pulau Tioman)

Then flight from Singapore to Medan

Then 2 - 3 weeks Sumatra & perhaps Java

Does the itinerary look feasible? How would Java be weather wise at the end of March? I am reading conflicting info about it. How does Sumatra compare with other regions of Indonesia? We are looking for virgin jungle and an off the beaten track location, that is still bearable weatherise (I know it is wet season in most of Indonesia).

Do our plan sound quite even in terms of nature / city / beach ratio?

I would really appreciate advice as I feel a little overwhelmed by my massive book shelf of lonely planet travel guides and would like to get a more personal account.

#1 schwev has been a member since 18/11/2013. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.