Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Guide and driver north Vietnam hill tribes

Posted by photonomadvc on 23/1/2014 at 04:59

I hope to travel around north Vietnam from second week in March for 2 weeks specifically to visit, home stay and photograph hill tribes. An advice and any good contacts appreciated also where is best to go using Hanoi as a base? I don't want to revisit Sapa as there are too many tourists there but i love good scenery and mountains.
Many thanks for any help in this regard.

#1 photonomadvc has been a member since 21/1/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by daawgon on 23/1/2014 at 09:41

photonomadvc - I think you need a good local travel agent. My agent specializes in the area, and I think he will be able to help you.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,133
 Send daawgon a private message 

Posted by nathuy on 24/1/2014 at 19:46

Posted from within Vietnam.

photonomadvc: i like that way you're thinking. i also hate the place where is crowded. i suggest you "Dien Bien". it belongs to northern vietnam. it has mountain and landscapes are beautiful

#3 nathuy has been a member since 24/1/2014. Posts: 28

Posted by MADMAC on 24/1/2014 at 23:30

I suggest the Austrian alps. Man, incredible scenery and those Austrians - talk about a hill tribe with interesting culture!

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by photonomadvc on 25/1/2014 at 07:04

Many thanks for your suggestions, I'll look into Dien Bien, I love vietnam anyway and the mountain people especially.
As for Madmac, i go fly fishing in Austria and I know the hill tribe there also in Slovenia, some of the best fishing anywhere.
Daawgon, I don't really want a commercial travel agent, people who make their living from tourists tend to get jaded and avaricious. I prefer to interact with local people who are usually far more friendly and helpful.

#5 photonomadvc has been a member since 21/1/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by MADMAC on 25/1/2014 at 09:22

"I prefer to interact with local people who are usually far more friendly and helpful."

But language does become a problem then... I think this is the single biggest reason I prefer hanging out in rural Thailand when I want that "authentic" (I use the term loosely here) thing. I can still communicate. Chuck me into the backwoods of Vietnam and now communication is very limited.

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.