Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

4 weeks in vietnam

Posted by debandviv on 2/3/2014 at 18:14

Hi we are planning on 4 weeks in vietnam - any ideas on this planned itinerary (Hoi An is a special that we have already booked at Sunrise Beach Resort)
Arrival Saigon
13-Aug Saigon city & Cu Chi tunnels
14-Aug Saigon/Mekong delta
15-Aug Mekong delta
16-Aug Mekong delta/Saigon
17-Aug Saigon/Nha Trang by overnight train
18-Aug Nha Trang
19-Aug Nha Trang
20-Aug Nha Trang/Dalat by car
21-Aug visit Dalat
22-Aug Dalat
23-Aug Dalat/Danang/Hoi An
24-Aug Hoi An
25-Aug Hoi An
26-Aug Hoi An
27-Aug Hoi An
28-Aug Hoi An
29-Aug Hoi An/Hue
30-Aug Hue
31-Aug Hue
1-Sep Hue/ Hanoi
2-Sep Hanoi city
3-Sep Hanoi/Ninh Binh
4-Sep Ninh Binh/Cuc Phuong national park/Ninh Binh
5-Sep Ninh Binh/Halong
6-Sep Halong Bay
7-Sep Halong Bay/Hanoi
8-Sep Hanoi, Night train to Lao Cai
9-Sep Lao Cai/Sapa
10-Sep Sapa
11-Sep Sapa/Lao Cai
12-Sep Hanoi
13-Sep Depart Hanoi

We are thinking of booking Tonkin tours or Indochina Voyages for private touring - has anyone used these tour guides??

#1 debandviv has been a member since 2/3/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 2/3/2014 at 18:22 admin

I'd be inclined to re arrange it slightly - go Saigon - Dalat - Nha Trang and Hue - Ninh Binh - Hanoi - Ha Long Bay to avoid some backtracking.

Otherwise looks fine.

Never heard of either of those guides.

Cheers

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,565
 Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by frere on 3/3/2014 at 09:12

Posted from within Vietnam.

up to you. personally, i'd get to vietnam and talk to people and allow myself the freedom to stay somewhere that i like for more than a few hours.
sounds like you'll spend most of your holiday on planes buses or trains.

#3 frere has been a member since 27/9/2012. Posts: 28

Posted by MADMAC on 3/3/2014 at 12:21

Do not - I say again - do not - tie yourself to timelines. Stay in one place until you don't like it, then move on. The itinerary you have planned is insane. At least give yourself the freedom, by not pre-booking, of figuring that our yourself. Frere is spot on here.

#4 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957

Posted by MotHaiBa on 3/3/2014 at 15:20

Tend to agree with frere and MADMAC regarding tieing yourself to an itinerary. You need to build in enough flexibility into your schedule to appreciate Vietnam. Having said that, your flow from south to north hits all the major points, although as Somtam has pointed out, you'll need to rethink the order. One other point from me, do you need to stop in Nha Trang? You'll be able to get plenty of beach time in Hoi An, particularly with the place you'll be staying. I'd be dropping NT altogether and adding those days to other parts of the itinerary.
Not sure when you are planning to go or what you're interests are. Those may have a bearing on what you might be interested in seeing. For instance if you're into natural things, you might consider Phong Nha Kebang (fabulous cave system) as a side trip from Hue.
Not too sure about those guides, but I wouldn't be booking anything from home. You can easily pick up a day tour or an overnight thing out to the mekong whilst in country. Talk to people when you get there and you'll work it out pretty easily.

#5 MotHaiBa has been a member since 3/5/2011. Posts: 57

Posted by travellingsarah on 10/3/2014 at 01:04 TF writer

I agree that it's great to be able to have some flexibility, but I don't think the schedule you've suggested is overly rushed and you're hitting all the highlights.You could skip Nha Trang with no great loss and use that time to give you some more flexibility, though as you've already booked your Hoi An accommodation that will need to be near the start of your trip.

What tours were you thinking of booking with Tonkin and Indochine? They are both quite expensive operators.

#6 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Posted by reevn on 12/3/2014 at 04:15

I think this is a suitable planned itinerary for you to discover many famous attractions of Vietnam from North to South. However, your trip will be perfect and unforgettable if you visit Phong Nha- Ke Bang fabulous cave system( Quang Binh province) to enjoy the overwhelming natural beauty.

#7 reevn has been a member since 5/3/2014. Posts: 4

Posted by Alex222 on 1/4/2014 at 03:11

Your plan is good and much comfortable you day by day visit in Vietnam i really like these types of written plan because if you go to the visit of any country you must set the plan..When i was there i set the plan write on my phone...

#8 Alex222 has been a member since 1/4/2014. Posts: 13

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.