Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Trekking in Sapa

Posted by marianaamc on 13/4/2014 at 17:48

I'm doing to Sapa and I'm still undecided if I should do a 3d2n trek or a 2d1n trek. But that's not really my question, I guess I'll decide depending on the feedback from my real question:
I saw some maps of the villages surrounding Sapa but I'm finding really difficult to find information regarding them independently. And most trekking companies offer different treks, with the same time frame, without describing the differences between them besides the difficulty. I don't really mind doing a hard trek, I'm still young and sometimes the harder treks can be more rewarding. But are they? I wanted to go to the villages with the most beautiful settings but I can't find, for example, photographs from each one of the villages and when I research them individually (flickr, google images...) I get many repeated photographs that give me the idea they're that kind of generic pictures...
So, anyone here has such a knowledge that could advise me on a route for the most beautiful rice terraces/valleys?
I might be a control freak but since I won't have time to try different treks I wanted to choose the most scenic.

#1 marianaamc has been a member since 30/10/2013. Posts: 62

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 14/4/2014 at 16:26

Mountains in sea arent that tall or scenic.

For me the best scenary is around some of the bays and beaches.

If u want scenic mtns id go to nepal, europe, canada or south america.

#2 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by marianaamc on 15/4/2014 at 05:59

If I wanted to hike tall mountains I would just hike fansipan.
The most scenic places don't have to be the tallest. I do like bays and beaches but that's not what I am asking. I did not ask you what you liked the most in southeast asia nor what you thought of mountains around the world.
You have got to be the first person I hear to say sapa is not "that scenic". Have you ever been there?

#3 marianaamc has been a member since 30/10/2013. Posts: 62

Posted by LeonardCohen1 on 15/4/2014 at 20:18

Rice fields, villages and farms r a dime a dozen.

Its not like there are special ones.

#4 LeonardCohen1 has been a member since 24/7/2012. Posts: 2,148
 Send LeonardCohen1 a private message 

Posted by somtam2000 on 15/4/2014 at 21:46 admin

Hi Marian,

This story by our Hanoi-writer may be of use. She did two separate day treks out of Sapa - I realise you're after a longer trek, but this will give you an idea of what you'd get on a shorter trip - I'd expect a longer trek to be more of the same -- you'll visit more villages etc, but not necessarily more spectacular.

The scenery around Sapa is gorgeous.

Hope that helps.

#5 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,710
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by MADMAC on 17/4/2014 at 02:17

Somtam how was the nightlife in Sapa? Is the urban area big enough to entertain nightlife, or is it essentially all low key?

#6 MADMAC has been a member since 6/6/2009. Posts: 6,957
 Send MADMAC a private message 

Posted by anton77 on 18/4/2014 at 04:47

Posted from within Vietnam.

One important thing to see most beautiful rice terraces/valleys: you need to go there in right season before the rice harvest.

#7 anton77 has been a member since 18/4/2014. Posts: 5

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.