We are currently in Luang Prabang , planning to make our way north and into Vietnam (not the most direct route, but hopefully more beautiful). Through forum research, I have learned the following, but still have a few questions and would also love any clarifications or other recent tips:
- Luang Prabang to Nong Khiaw
By bus about 4 hours & 80,000 K (boat no longer available due to dam construction)
- Nong Khiaw to Muang Ngoi
By boat about 1 hour & 25,000 K
* Does this boat only leave when full? Is the river high enough right now?
- Muang Ngoi to Muang Khua
By boat about 6 hours & 100,000 K
* This boat only leaves if full or we have to charter it ourselves? Is there a bus alternative from here north or only other option to backtrack to Nong Khiaw?
- Muang Khua to Dien Bien Phu
By bus about 6 hours & 50,000 K
* Is this route now shorter and smoother due to recently sealing the road? How is the border crossing - can you buy a ticket for the entire route in Muang Khua?
- DBP to Sapa
By bus about 12 hours? How much? This is the bus headed to Lao Cai, I think.
** Is this road just awful, dangerous & stomach churning? Is taking a minibus the safer, quicker, better option?
Thanks for the help.
#1 Sparkwanderlust has been a member since 19/4/2014. Posts: 2