Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Halong Bay Advice plus Sapa

Posted by Bridgequeen on 1/6/2014 at 16:25

Hi

I am planning a solo trip to Hanoi in October/ November in order to visit Halong Bay. Having read some of the posts on this forum I may also include Sapa so my questions are:
1 Can anyone recommend a good Halong Bay Cruise? I am not very fit so not able to clamber over other boats to board and do not relish the idea of carrying my own luggage down treacherous steps. Whilst I am budget conscious, I am prepared to pay more for this section of the trip.Also, I have heard that it is cheaper to book in Hanoi than online - is this still true? And one more requirement, I am a smoker so do not want a boat where you can't smoke (there does not appear to be much information out there about this).
2 Having read reviews I am considering also doing Sapa, what is the easiest way to get there? I don't like sleeper trains for obvious reasons, as I am not prepared to pay for the whole compartment.
3 After North Vietnam I am going on to Cambodia. I am considering flying Hanoi Bangkok Bangkok Siem Reap or Phnom Penh with Air Asia. Does anyone know of a reasonable direct alternative?

Many thanks for your time

#1 Bridgequeen has been a member since 29/7/2013. Location: Earth. Posts: 55
 Send Bridgequeen a private message   Where has Bridgequeen been? 

Posted by comtam3000 on 4/6/2014 at 01:29

The only reasonable route up to Sapa from Hanoi is by sleeper train from Hanoi - Lao Cai then minibus from Lao Cai to Sapa (correct me if I'm wrong).

As for Halong Tours, there's a plethora of information already in the forums as well as a sticky that contains some tips. Put that search button to use! If I were you, I'd opt for booking your Halong tour in person once in Hanoi. That's a general rule of thumb that could probably be applied to booking just about anything in this region, except a flight.

#2 comtam3000 has been a member since 4/6/2014. Location: United States. Posts: 72
 Send comtam3000 a private message   Website 

Posted by USapa on 18/6/2014 at 21:49

Posted from within Vietnam.

You can get the bus from Hanoi to Sapa, a sleeping bus. It will take you about six hours to go only as the new highway has opened last week.

#3 USapa has been a member since 18/6/2014. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.