Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Motorbike Vietnam August weather ? advice please

Posted by GJL on 17/6/2014 at 14:16

Hello , me and my brother are considering motorbiking vietnam from 25th july - 16th august , obviously it is the rainy season however I wondered if anybody had experience to how much this actually affected their travelling ? With tropical weather I understand you just get a downpour for part of the day but will this affect the roads through the whole of the month making riding quite unenjoyable.

We would likely start in Saigon and head inland towards the border of Cambodia and head north from there cutting back aross to Dalat and the coast before returning to Saigon , ( as a rough route )

thanks in advance for any help

#1 GJL has been a member since 6/6/2014. Posts: 9

Posted by gecktrek on 17/6/2014 at 17:38

hey, i did a similar trip to yours but in reverse in feb/mar and it didn't rain at all... the lp book says the central highlands gets up to 200mm during jul/aug...

#2 gecktrek has been a member since 24/3/2013. Location: Australia. Posts: 102
 Where has gecktrek been?   Website   Flickr  

Posted by tanash on 17/6/2014 at 19:49

Hey There, may you enjoy the bike-thrill. After the amazing motorcycle odyssey most welcome to the awesome experience waiting Here http://metanvirashraf.blogspot.com/

#3 tanash has been a member since 17/6/2014. Posts: 9

Posted by hellotallgirl on 26/6/2014 at 18:00

GJL
I'm planning a motorbike trip around that time too. From what I can tell, it's going to pour sometimes but people make do with just a rain poncho. Personally, I'm going to have my pack with me for a lot of the rides so I'm searching for a waterproof cover. I don't remember where I heard this last bit but riding through puddles is a bad idea because they may be concealing giant pot holes.
Good luck!

#4 hellotallgirl has been a member since 26/6/2014. Posts: 2

Posted by riderman74 on 15/7/2014 at 03:25

Posted from within Vietnam.

Dear everyone,

During August, you could have some rains and be careful when you ride in the mountainous areas in the small roads or tracks.

http://motorbiketoursasia.com

If someone would like to have more informations, please write to me!

#5 riderman74 has been a member since 18/6/2014. Posts: 10

Posted by larsay on 20/7/2014 at 02:00

Posted from within Vietnam.

July and August are monsoon season in the South so I would stay away ; the rest of the country is OK (but hot !)

#6 larsay has been a member since 20/7/2014. Posts: 45

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.