Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Choosisng a Ha long Tour Operator

Posted by thailen on 12/7/2014 at 02:55

First, when they quote prices, an overnight cabin fee for a double cabin is the entire price for 2 people, correct? Is there a difference in price between booking a cruise on-line and waiting until we check in our hotel and asking them or just walking down streets and finding one that way? Would we be able to pay with a credit card?
Many posters talk about kayaking. I can handle a canoe but have never sat in a kayak. Will they let us ride in kayaks as newbies? How long does it take to control them?

#1 thailen has been a member since 12/7/2014. Posts: 7

Posted by daawgon on 12/7/2014 at 11:36

The quoted price is for 2 persons per cabin - normally, children pay a nominal extra fee. I believe the online price has advantages - sale prices are posted there (sort of like airline pricing). Yes, you can pay by credit card or direct with services like Paypal.

There are usually instructors available for first-time kayakers, but you should ask your agent these questions. I believe there is a difference in choosing a good agent, and I can personally recommend the following: http://halong-cruise.com/deluxe-cruises.aspx

My hint is to look for a cruise that offers buffet dining, and not to opt for a really cheap cruise. All cruises include transportation from Hanoi , and some even have luxury van service (travel time from Hanoi averages 4 hours one way).

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,111

Posted by larsay on 20/7/2014 at 03:02

Posted from within Vietnam.

First, you do not have to book a cruise in advance from overseas, you can do it in Hanoi EXCEPT if you decide for the best, a private junk, which you have to book in advance. The best less expensive I know is Oriental Sun, owned and run by the excellent agency Oriental Bridge Travel (www.orientalbridge.com) ; they are very reliable Halong cruise agents, so they also offer excellent collective junks from deluxe to Budget Standard. The private junks from Indochina junks are excellent also but more deluxe so more expensive.

Better go to a GOOD agency ; hotel receptionnists do not always know what tey are talking about. (or put you on a junk of an operator who gives them a kickback) ; Most agencies have a pile of operators brochures, you just have to go through them. DO NOT take a cheap cruise, Halong is unique in the world and deserves some extra money, even if you have to save money somewhere else.

Prices are not always per cabin, some operators publish prices per person, so check out !

#3 larsay has been a member since 20/7/2014. Posts: 45

Posted by travellingsarah on 21/7/2014 at 00:27 TF writer

Posted from within Vietnam.

Sometimes prices are quoted per cabin (for example, on Agoda) but usually it's per person based on sharing a twin or double room. Most operators charge a single supplement but on the cheaper backpacker orientated cruises you might be able to share with a stranger and save the supplement.

I suggest you go to some agents in Hanoi and get details of the boats and prices, then check them out online before making a booking. Note that with 400 operators in the Bay you are likely to get different options from each tour office you visit.

I find kayaking easier than canoeing, but yes, they do let novices on and will show you what do it if need-be but if you've been in a canoe before it's the same principle.

#4 travellingsarah has been a member since 23/3/2010. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 681
 Where has travellingsarah been?   Website 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.