Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Custom made ao dai and other Vietnamese women's clothing in HCMC (or Can Tho) for a man.

Posted by man_in_ao_dai on 21/7/2014 at 21:42

Hi. I'll be in Southern Vietnam (HCMC, Can Tho, Mekong Delta) in a few months.
I'm wondering if anyone here can recommend a tailor who can make ao dai for a reasonable price (decent quality, but not too expensive). Would it be real silk? How much for one of those pretty plain white ones ? What about colored ones?
The thing is, I'm a man. But I do want to get a regular women's ao dai. Would this cause any issues?
Also, can one get a yem made (traditional Vietnamese women's undergarment)? How much would that cost?
Also, any other suggestions for traditional Vietnamese women's clothing I could get made? (not something like empress's clothing, just pretty clothes, preferably silk). What about modern, Vietnamese style clothing(not Western style; something sophisticated and Vietnamese inspired, preferably silk).
This wouldn't cause a stir since I'm a guy, right?
TIA

#1 man_in_ao_dai has been a member since 21/7/2014. Posts: 1

Posted by larsay on 2/8/2014 at 03:41

Posted from within Vietnam.

Well, not much luck ! You can find ao dai in many places, from 40-50$ to 100$ and plus, ready-made or tailored just for you; You can also get blouses. If you ask for silk, you get it.

Let's put it that way ! Vietnamese are very traditional people (less in the South !), so, if you say it is for you, I am not sure of the reaction. The best would be that you say it is for your sister or your wife and she has the same size as you. Anyway, do it in Saigon ; in the countryside, they are much less open.

#2 larsay has been a member since 20/7/2014. Posts: 45

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.