Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Central Vietnam Reccomendations

Posted by ozscott on 20/10/2007 at 08:13

Hi TravelFish'ers,

My wife & I are headed to SE Asia for a 6 week holiday (2+ weeks Vietnam, 2 weeks Laos, 1 week Cambodia). We land in Ho Chi Minh Feb 21st, are planning 3 nights in (Ho Chi Minh), then a flight to Da Nang or Hue. We have allowed 6 nights in Central Vietnam, then fly to Hanoi from Da Nang or Hue.

Question - What would be our best travel itinerary and transport options for our 6 nights in Central Vietnam? We arn't overly interested in history or architecture, rather markets, shopping, beaches, wats, natural sites, dining and easy going times. I've been told that some parts of Central Vietnam have turned 'grubby & troublesome' so seek advice on the better places to be for this 6 days considering it is such a short time.

Many thanks in advance for your responses...
OzScott

#1 ozscott has been a member since 21/1/2007. Posts: 18

Posted by somtam2000 on 20/10/2007 at 09:00 admin

Hi OzScott,

"markets, shopping, beaches, wats, natural sites, dining and easy going times"

Sounds like Hoi An to me!

So, if you fly into Da Nang, then taxi is south to Hoi An -- I'd recommend at least three nights, then return to Da Nang and catch the train north to Hue -- it's one of the most beautiful stretches of railway in the country. In Hue it's mostly museums and imperial tombs, but it's still a relaxing spot -- there's also some beach nearby.

That should use up your six days and then press on north.

Hope that helps

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.