Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Mekong Delta cruise from Phnom Penh to HCMC

Posted by noratw9 on 24/2/2015 at 11:17

Hi everyone,

My boyfriend are planning a 5-week trip to Thailand, Cambodia and Vietnam in June-July. Our plans are very tight since we're trying to see a lot, but I feel confident about most of our plans so far. However, we are trying to get from Kampot, Cambodia to HCMC. We planned on doing a 2d/1n Mekong Delta tour during our time in HCMC, but I was looking around online a bit and noticed that some tour guides offer a 3d/2n cruise from PP to HCMC!

This would, logistically, be completely perfect for us, but I'm noticing a scarcity of cruises and mixed reviews. Just wanted to see if anyone has experience doing this cruise, what company you went with (I saw one from a company that got excellent reviews for their other tours, SinhBalo), and what you'd suggest. Otherwise we are going to have to fly from PP to HCMC, which is pretty expensive and not very convenient. I'd rather do the tour but if it's not a great experience I may think twice.

Thank you all!

#1 noratw9 has been a member since 10/10/2014. Posts: 3

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by MotHaiBa on 25/2/2015 at 03:28

Hi Nora,
In general terms the cruises that get you from PP to Saigon are not budget tours. I note that you have baulked at the price of the flight between the two cities. The DIY tour is to take the fast boat from Sisowath Quay in PP to Chau Doc, and then make your way onto to Saigon by bus, stopping along the way in the main towns and doing day trips around the area. Your hotel will be able to set this up for you, as well as onward travel. Other option is to fly from PP to Saigon and do a mekong delta trip out from there, but that just sounds like doubling back to me.

#2 MotHaiBa has been a member since 3/5/2011. Posts: 61
 Send MotHaiBa a private message 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by noratw9 on 25/2/2015 at 10:47

Hi MotHaiBa,

Thanks so much for your help! I don't mind the price of the cruise (ones I've seen online, including the SinhBalo tour I mentioned, will run us about $250-300 pp). The original plan was to fly, actually, until I learned that a cruise was an option.

I figure with the price of the flight (anywhere from $75-$156 pp, depending on schedule) and the price of the tour, we'd get close to that $250 threshold anyway. I don't like the idea of doubling back, as you mentioned, and it seems like this would be a fun trip.

Does that help clarify?

#3 noratw9 has been a member since 10/10/2014. Posts: 3

Posted by MotHaiBa on 25/2/2015 at 14:25

Yes Nora, that clarifies things.

The DIY trip that I described to you, is essentially what an operator like SinhBalo does. They will put you on a fast boat from Cambodia to Chau Doc, and then run a series of day tours out of there and Can Tho before transferring onto Saigon. Just so you are clear, its not really a cruise as you will make your way from place to place by minivan, with a few water based trips like the Cai Rang floating markets and a canal tour, along the way.

There are other operators that do real cruises on things like restored rice barges etc. They are significantly more expensive than the SinhBalo type tour. Even they will finish with a car transfer as there are no cruises out of Saigon - they start or finish out of My Tho.

Good luck with it.

#4 MotHaiBa has been a member since 3/5/2011. Posts: 61
 Send MotHaiBa a private message 

Posted by malindo on 1/3/2015 at 00:46

do you know thats your shared makes me so interested... wow...

#5 malindo has been a member since 1/3/2015. Posts: 2
 Website 

Posted by ahnkina on 18/3/2015 at 00:15

Hi,

I think that it'll be more interesting if you book a tour from PP to HCMC, but it usually take about 1 week. So you can book Mekong tour from HCMC in 2 days. Booking a tour in HCMC will help reduce the time and expenses and safety since the local people don't speak English.
I've booked a Mekong cruise tour from HCM once and it' really great
I booked the tour from Bestprice, you can see on www.bestpricevn.com/mekongrivercruises/

Hope it'll help you.

#6 ahnkina has been a member since 18/3/2015. Posts: 1

Posted by ThaoDoan on 24/4/2015 at 10:14

Why dont you try Hang Chau Speet Boat? It will lead you from Phnom Penh to Chau Doc. Have Mekong Delta tour there (day tour, overnight tour... - it's up to you). Then go to Saigon city.
Note: Saigon city and Ho Chi Minh city are 2 names for 1 place :)

#7 ThaoDoan has been a member since 24/4/2015. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.