Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Vietnam Visa Changes - Urgent Advice Please!!

Posted by numan99 on 7/7/2015 at 05:54

On July 1st 2015 Vietnam changed its visa regulations to give exemptions to travelers from a few countries including the UK.

I'm currently in Phnom Penh and am planning on traveling overland via coach in the next couple of days. When I last checked I thought I was going to need to get a visa from the embassy here in order to cross into Vietnam but, being a UK passport holder, it seems like this is no longer the case?

Can someone please confirm this as I don't want to get turned away at the border!!

Thanks in advance!

#1 numan99 has been a member since 6/4/2009. Posts: 6

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by daawgon on 7/7/2015 at 12:50

I would check with the Vietnamese embassy in Phnom Penh, because although the new rules took effect on July 1st, there have been a few reports that some border agents knew nothing about the new policy. Good luck.

I would imagine they would want to see a return ticket for proof that you're only staying 15 days or less.

#2 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Location: Vietnam. Posts: 1,159
 Send daawgon a private message   Facebook  

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by alishaLT on 10/8/2015 at 04:24

Yes, as I know, the UK passport holder will free visa if stay Vietnam less 15 days.
If not sure, you can check with nearest Vietnam embassy.

#3 alishaLT has been a member since 10/8/2015. Posts: 1
 Twitter 

Posted by numan99 on 10/8/2015 at 06:06

I can confirm that I had no problems crossing the border between Cambodia and Vietnam without the need for a visa.

Thanks for the replies.

#4 numan99 has been a member since 6/4/2009. Posts: 6

Posted by mikal83 on 11/8/2015 at 03:40

15 days, grrrrrrrr. 30 would be far better.

#5 mikal83 has been a member since 19/1/2015. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 140
 Send mikal83 a private message   Where has mikal83 been? 

Posted by chriswotton on 13/2/2016 at 23:29

Hi numan99 - apologies for resurrecting this old thread, but I just wondered if you were required to show proof of onward travel etc in order to enter Vietnam visa-free overland last year? Reports from the time of the policy change suggest printed flight confirmations were going to be required; I'm planning to travel into and out of Vietnam by land for a few days next month, so was hoping to hear about your experience. Thanks in advance!

#6 chriswotton has been a member since 7/9/2008. Location: Thailand. Posts: 99
 Send chriswotton a private message   Where has chriswotton been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.