Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Sleeper train from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh via Hue

Posted by kelpeta on 16/11/2007 at 16:53

Hi

I'm trying to find out if I buy a ticket on the overnight train from Hanoi to Ho Chi Minh...

1)can I get off at Hue, wonder around for the day, and get back on the next overnight train in Hue to get to Ho Chi Minh City or would I need two separate tickets?

2)Any ideas of the cost of tickets? I've heard US$35, but not sure if thats just to Hue or through to HCMC.

3)Is Hue worth the stop if Im pushed for time? Thinking about maybe flying from Hanoi to HCMC, but budget wise I want to compare flight versus train cost.

THANKS!

#1 kelpeta has been a member since 19/7/2007. Posts: 10

Posted by somtam2000 on 17/11/2007 at 08:57 admin

1) I believe that would be two tickets.

2) See the Vietnam Railways website for detailed price information or download the Vietnam Railways cheat sheet in the Member's Centre.

3) If time allows, Hua is worth a stop, but if you're not planning on stopping anywhere else, then a flight could be a better idea.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,707
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Google+   Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by CatBa2 on 18/11/2007 at 13:32

Every journey or segment of a journey has to be separately booked.

If you catch "the overnight train" to HCMC you will actually get to spend two nights and two days on the train before reaching HCMC.

Trains travel a maximum speed of around 70 kilometres per hour and given that the distance between the two largest cities is 1,600 kilometres you can calculate the traveling time.

Flying time is around 1.5 -2 hours.

Hue can be seen in half a ay by using the City Tour bus (make sure you use the bus from City Tour and NOT Trekking Travel). A half-day tour for around USD$6 includes the Citadel and the tombs.

At this time Hue is NOT flooded, Hoi An IS still flooded.

There are flights to Hue from both the north and south.

#3 CatBa2 has been a member since 6/11/2007. Posts: 53

Posted by jamedannock on 14/7/2011 at 08:49

Posted from within Vietnam.

Book an overnight train ticket from HCMC to Hue , stop over in Hue for 2 nights then take a livitrans train tickets to Hanoi. It is not bad idea to book the tickets through TrainTicketDeliver.com

#4 jamedannock has been a member since 14/7/2011. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.