Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

HELP!! 2-3 Weeks in Vietnam

Posted by alexs227 on 6/2/2016 at 22:13

Hey guys,
I will be flying into Ho Chi Minh City in May to spend a 2-3 weeks in Vietnam before I meet my friends in Thailand. I was hoping to do all of Vietnam and need your help! I am in my 20's and want to have a fun time and also see some incredible sights. Any suggestions for an outline of an itinerary? Names of hostels you stayed at, places you liked more/least are all a plus too, but mainly just curious on the places and things to see and do. Thank you so much!!

#1 alexs227 has been a member since 6/2/2016. Posts: 1

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by Want2BHappy on 7/2/2016 at 12:49

Well, 2 or 3 weeks isn't enough time to see even all the highlights of Vietnam properly and what you choose depends on your interests....

Lots of suggestions https://www.travelfish.org/trip_planner#itinerary-140

Incredible sights? Ha Giang. That's one of your weeks gone. :-)

#2 Want2BHappy has been a member since 23/2/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 84
 Send Want2BHappy a private message   Where has Want2BHappy been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by antoniamitchell on 9/2/2016 at 01:37

Hi,
What you need to remember (and this isn't clear in the response above, hence my chiming in) that Vietnam is a pretty big country, and moving from place to place takes a while. From DaNang to Hue takes half a day's travel. Hanoi to Halong Bay takes half a day. From HCMC or Hanoi to the mid-country (DaNang or Hoi An) will take half a day if you fly, a full day or night if you go by bus or train.

Some people think "I'll take the night train or bus, so I don't waste a day of my holiday and save money on a hotel as well." The night train can be an okay plan if you're the type who can sleep anywhere, any time, and aren't too finicky, but if you're not, you'll have a crappy night sleep and spend the following day feeling like a zombie. Personally I'd avoid night buses in Vietnam because of the poor safety records on the roads. So travelling overnight is not always a good way to maximise your holiday time.

Basically, 21 days in a country doesn't mean 21 days to have fun - and the more ground you try to cover, and the more you move from place to place, the less time you actually have to enjoy yourself.

Realistically, Vietnam is far too big too fit into only 3 weeks (you could spend 3 months and not see it all). So I'd suggest you stick to one or two regions. Maybe do the south and the midlands, or the midlands and the north, or just the north. Decide based upon which sites appeal to you the most, once you've done your research (are you a beach bum, a hiker, a culture vulture?), and checked the weather patterns.

Have a great trip.

#3 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 556
 Send antoniamitchell a private message   Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Posted by adrianlopez on 19/2/2016 at 02:16

On May, Vietnam is summer, so i think you should visit beaches of Vietnam: Hanoi city tour – Halong Bay – Hoi AnNha Trang – Ho Chi Minh – Ben TreMui Ne – Ho Chi Minh.
Day 1: Noi Bai Arrival
Day 2 : Hanoi - Halong Bay
Day 3: Halong bay - Hoi An
Day 4+5: Hoi An free and relax
Day 6: Hoi An - Nha Trang
Day 7+8: Nha Trang Free and relax
Day 9: Nha Trang - Ho Chi Minh
Day 10: SaiGon - Ben Tre
Day 11+12: Ho Chi Minh free
Day 13: Ho Chi Minh - Mui Ne
Day 14 : Mui Ne - Ho Chi Minh airport

#4 adrianlopez has been a member since 27/1/2016. Posts: 55

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.