Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

vietnam to Laos border crossing

Posted by travellingwombles on 13/2/2016 at 15:42

We are an extremely active in our sixties couple, love to travel. Used to back pack, just gave that away, so resorting to cases.
We are going to travel around Cambodia, Vietnam, Laos, bus train whatever!
Wondering which border crossing, north Vietnam to Laos is best.
And an idea of cost.
Thanks

#1 travellingwombles has been a member since 3/2/2016. Posts: 3

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by Captain_Bob on 16/2/2016 at 05:10

"Wondering which border crossing, north Vietnam to Laos is best."

Vietnam Airlines
Lao Airlines
HAN-LPQ 1 hour flight ;-)

#2 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,955

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by adrianlopez on 16/2/2016 at 21:03

Same idea with #1, you can use cheap flight to save money as Vietjet air

#3 adrianlopez has been a member since 27/1/2016. Posts: 55

Posted by travellingwombles on 18/2/2016 at 13:22

Thanks for that. Flying is too expensive, I was meaning which land border was best. The northern one or south of that, nearer Hanoi.

#4 travellingwombles has been a member since 3/2/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by adrianlopez on 18/2/2016 at 21:57

The bus costs between $8 and $12 and takes six hours normally from Phnom Penh to Ho Chi Minh. You can catch bus at station in Preah Sihanouk Boulevard, Phnom Penh, Cambodia.

#5 adrianlopez has been a member since 27/1/2016. Posts: 55

Posted by Captain_Bob on 20/2/2016 at 05:28

^They are asking about going from Vietnam to Laos.

Typically an overnight bus between, say, Hanoi and Luang Prabang will take about 20-24 hours, mainly because the border is closed at night. Your bus has to stop and wait for hours in the middle of the night until morning, usually in the middle of nowhere. Hence my recommendation of a flight instead. A possibly more interesting multi-day option is going by bus from Sapa to the border at Dien Bien Phu, then onward to Muang Khua and down to Nong Khiew by boat, then bus to Luang Prabang. Sorry can't give prices but cheaper than flying.

#6 Captain_Bob has been a member since 27/5/2006. Location: Thailand. Posts: 1,955

Posted by travellingwombles on 23/2/2016 at 14:51

Thanks for that. I have been looking at the Sapa, to the border at Dien Bien Phu option, wondering what it was like. Does sound interesting. The overnighter sounds pretty hard going. I have looked at flights, but wonder if I am missing something. They seem to be hundreds. Would be early to mid July.
Finding the Travelfish site amazing, so much info!

#7 travellingwombles has been a member since 3/2/2016. Posts: 3

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.