Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Phong Nha-Ke Bang - Dark Cave

Posted by tigershoot on 15/2/2016 at 06:35

As part of a three week trip my wife and I are going to visit Phong Nha-Ke Bang National Park. One thing that I fancy doing is the dark cave trip, lots of mud, zip lines etc! I reckon on hiring a scooter and doing this trip myself. My wife doesn't fancy it as she hates heights, and wouldn't fancy the cave either! Does anyone know if you can go to this place and simply enjoy kayaking and relaxing rather than doing all the adventurous stuff?

Why I ask, is that if she can't, then I need to find a hotel where she can relax by the pool when I head off by myself. Staying at a homestay for the day when everyone else is out on tours/trips is not an option.

This area seems fabulous. Any tips as to how many days we should stay? We are both going to do the Paradise cave trip, so that is one other trip already included in my plans.

#1 tigershoot has been a member since 24/2/2015. Posts: 18

Experience the Andaman Sea
Experience the Andaman Sea
Ad Spend 3 days / 2 nights on The Junk
From US$400.

liveaboard.com

Read more

Posted by adrianlopez on 16/2/2016 at 01:10

If your wife don't want to join zipline activity, she can join swimming, mud-bath or kayaking on Chay River, Furthermore, Son Doong cave will be best idea if you want to discover and advanture tour.

#2 adrianlopez has been a member since 27/1/2016. Posts: 55

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by SoManyMiles on 22/2/2016 at 09:17 TF writer

Hi tigershoot,

We've recently updated all of Phong Nha on Travelfish. Here's info on the Dark Cave:
https://www.travelfish.org/sight_profile/vietnam/north_central_vietnam/quang_binh/phong_nha/3584

If your wife is not interested in the Dark Cave, then yes, she can just go swimming or kayaking in the river. There's also a restaurant.

You should also definitely do Phong Nha Cave -- you can do that and Paradise Cave in one day. If you're interested in countryside, taking a bicycle or hiring some Easy Riders to drive you around on motorbike is a great option. The Bong Lai valley is lovely. If she's not comfortable on motorbike, Phong Nha Farmstay offers Jeep tours.

You can do those three caves in two days, but you may feel rushed. Three gives you some more time to explore.

Hope this helps.

#3 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 146

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.