Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Hanoi to Ba Be 5th March

Posted by Clairewindsor on 19/2/2016 at 06:57

Hi
Planning to travel to Ba Be (Pac Ngoi) on 5th March from Hanoi
- Any opinions on the best public transport route? I don't mind getting a taxi / organising a pick-up for the last leg.
- On the offchance, if anyone is going that way, I'm travelling alone and would share costs for a vehicle.

Thanks

#1 Clairewindsor has been a member since 19/2/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by adrianlopez on 19/2/2016 at 20:10

From Hanoi, the most direct route to Ba Be's lakeside homestay villages of Pac Ngoi, Bo Lu and Coc Toc is the local bus to Cho Don, via Thai Nguyen, run by Thuong Nga bus company. It leaves My Dinh bus station at 10am (130,000d, four hours). At Cho Don, you hop on a connecting minibus (run by the same company) to Pac Ngoi, Bo Lu and Coc Toc (40,000d).
A more roundabout route is to head into the park via Cho Ra. To Cho Ra directly, there is a daily bus at noon from Hanoi's Gia Lam bus station (180,000d, six hours). A direct bus (90,000d, five hours) also departs from Cao Bang for Cho Ra at noon. There are also regular bus services from both Thai Nguyen and Cho Don to Cho Ra. Once in Cho Ra you can arrange a xe om (motorbike taxi; about 100,000d) to cover the last 18km into the park.
Departing Ba Be's lakeside villages there are minibuses to Cho Don at 6am and 1.30pm. If you’re heading northeast from Ba Be, you can get a local bus from Cho Ra to Na Phac, from where there are services to Cao Bang

#2 adrianlopez has been a member since 27/1/2016. Posts: 55

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Clairewindsor on 20/2/2016 at 13:19

Thank you for your clear and helpful advice. I'll try the 10am, with the knowledge that if something goes wrong there are later options. Also good to know more about the return/ onward journey - I was going to organise this when I got there, but this information is relly helpful in planning the feasibility of the next step.

As someone interested in visiting national parks and enjoying good scenery, I think Ba Be Lake sounds worth a little effort - I'll post something about the area here afterwards as it's the one place I'm visiting which has hasn't received a lot of extensive coverage on the site.

This is the first time I have used this forum and am impressed with the fast, useful result.

#3 Clairewindsor has been a member since 19/2/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by adrianlopez on 21/2/2016 at 20:23

You're welcome :)

#4 adrianlopez has been a member since 27/1/2016. Posts: 55

Posted by johngaisford on 20/4/2016 at 07:20

Hi Claire, how did this turn out for you? We are planning this trip in a few days. Any recommended homestays?

#5 johngaisford has been a member since 20/4/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by duncanperkins on 21/4/2016 at 03:29

Hi

There are so many local families in Ba Be offering the homestay. You can come there & book directly, the price is not so steep yet (roughly 5 - 10 usd/night).
last time we did a motorbike tour within 3 days with vietnam-motorbiketour and were arranged to stay at a very nice family with great foods

have a nice trip ahead

#6 duncanperkins has been a member since 21/4/2016. Posts: 2

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.