Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Compulsory Christmas Eve Gala

Posted by mrakovan on 25/2/2016 at 12:12

Hello,

My first time to Vietnam. I am getting quotes from hotels in Phu Quoc for Dec 24 - Dec 26 and they all want to include a compulsory Christmas eve gala like $100-$150 USD per person? What are these? are they customary? why so costly?

Thank you for all your help!

Monica

#1 mrakovan has been a member since 28/1/2016. Posts: 2

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by antoniamitchell on 26/2/2016 at 07:22

Hi,
Unfortunately Christmas is the high season, and some hotels will try and do this for a nice, little additional earner (and when you see how cheap food normally is in Vietnam, you'll be even more annoyed if you reluctantly agree to one of these).

I'd recommend you focus more on small guesthouses for your Christmas stay - those without restaurants on site are less likely to try and do this, or will at least charge less for it. You're also probably less likely to find this sort of mandatory add-on for walk-ins (where they'll be more eager to fill and empty room, and thus more flexible).

Incidentally, it's still a very long way until Christmas, so don't worry if all you're seeing online is bigger hotels - many of the little guys may not be accepting reservations this far in advance, and some smaller places probably don't even have online reservation systems, so don't worry too much if you can't find something appropriate yet. You've got plenty of time, and most of the time it isn't essential to pre-book.

(Caveat - I know nothing about Phu Quoc specifically, as I've never been there - I'm basing my opinion on travels elsewhere in Vietnam and the rest of the region).

Good luck, and have a great trip

#2 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 556
 Send antoniamitchell a private message   Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by SoManyMiles on 28/2/2016 at 10:11 TF writer

Hi mrakovan,
Large posh hotels (4-star, 5-star) usually do a compulsory Christmas dinner. You can always try to negotiate out of it but if they won't budge, then simply look for another hotel. Phu Quoc is booming with new hotels. There's lots of competition and choice. We just did a full update of Phu Quoc last month, check it out here:
https://www.travelfish.org/accommodation/vietnam/mekong_delta/kien_giang/phu_quoc_island/all

#3 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 147

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.