Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Nam Du homestay

Posted by Potbellypirate on 25/2/2016 at 16:37

Hello fellow travellers!

My husband and I are in the early stages of planning a trip to vietnam and love the idea of visiting somewhere a little less touristy than the major sites.

I saw in the recent newsletter the article on nam du, and I think this place looks fantastic. Definitley suits our style of travel - fresh seafood, ocean breeze, and no major hotel behemoths in sight.

Seeing as my husband and I don't speak a scrap of vietnamese does anyone know if any of the guesthouses or homestay have english speakers? Not fluent, but enough that we can ask about basic things, where to eat, swim etc.

The only reason I ask is that we would love to be able to speak to a local about where to find the best beaches, food, and learn a little more about life on the island.

#1 Potbellypirate has been a member since 4/1/2016. Posts: 2

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by thuhien on 26/2/2016 at 11:29

Its so hard on finding local people speaking a little bit English. Maybe you can find some travel agent to ask for help.

P.s It doesnt related but this place is so beautiful. good choice!

#2 thuhien has been a member since 26/2/2016. Posts: 2

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by SoManyMiles on 28/2/2016 at 10:03 TF writer

Hi Potbellypirate,

Have you seen the full Nam Du island guide on Travelfish?
https://www.travelfish.org/location/vietnam/mekong_delta/kien_giang/nam_du

We also covered the best beaches of the island in our post about riding around the island. Bai Cay Men is the best beach on the island, while you can see another spectacular beach on a boat trip out to Hon Mau island.
https://www.travelfish.org/sights/vietnam/mekong_delta/kien_giang/nam_du

The woman at Phong Vu Guesthouse speaks a little English. We had no problem communicating that we wanted a boat trip, a motorbike rental and a seafood dinner - they know you are limited with food options so they will offer to make you meals and you can be sure that fresh seafood will be on the menu. We ate breakfast, lunch and dinner there.

Unfortunately you are not likely to find anyone on the island with much English. The Saigon crowd go to Nam Du for holiday and the younger generation and young professionals tend to know some English - if you try to chat up people on the boat, word will quickly spread and you may find someone to talk to.

Be sure to check out Hon Son too, part of the archipelago. Again, there's no English spoken there.
https://www.travelfish.org/location/vietnam/mekong_delta/kien_giang/hon_son

Hope this helps.

#3 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 146

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.