Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Itinerary Schedule Help

Posted by eckthetech on 9/3/2016 at 19:16

Hello everyone! I am planning a trip in September to Vietnam and was looking for some advice. I will being going as a solo backpacker. I wish I had the luxury of time, but unfortunately I don't have it. I am thinking about 2 and a half weeks. So far I have decided to do flights for any big travels to save time. Currently here is my tentative schedule.

7: Fly out at 12:45am
8: Arrive in Hanoi around 10am
9: Hanoi
10: Hanoi
11: Hanoi
12: Ha Long Bay
13: Ha Long Bay
14: Ha Long Bay / Hanoi
15: Hanoi / Hoi An (afternoon flight)
16: Hoi An
17: Hoi An
18: Hoi An
19: Hoi An
20: Hoi An / Ho Chi Minh (early am flight)
21: Ho Chi Minh
22: Ho Chi Minh
23: Ho Chi Minh
24: Ho Chi Minh / LAX (5:30pm flight home)

So currently I know I can subtract days from Hoi An and move stuff around. I added extra time if I should decide I wanted to do Hue . I know I want to add the Mekong Delta in there somehow. Ideally I would like to do Hanoi, Ha Long Bay, Sapa, Hue, Hoi An, Ho Chi Minh, and the Mekong Delta. Overall that is probably a little too much to do in that amount of time so I have cut some stuff out. I want to see a place but also get the vibe of each area and get the experience. I am not exactly looking for a new place everyday.

I am wondering if Hue is worth it, and how would you split those days? I was thinking the big thing I would have wanted was to do H?i Vân Pass.

I don't know much about it, but the Mid Autumn Festival should be going on while I am in Hoi An. I am not sure if that would make a long stay in Hoi An worth it? Is Hoi An worth trying to do any scuba diving. Also I was thinking of a cooking class thing in Hoi An.

The Mekong Delta, how much time would you put in for that? I am not sure if a day trip is what I want to do. I feel like I wouldn't get the full experience of the delta. Not sure if I am feeling tour group vibe but sort of a DIY thing for Mekong Delta.

Any help and insights would be amazing. This will be my first backpack trip too. I haven't booked anything yet so everything is flexible.

Thank you for all your input.

If it makes any difference I am a 27yo male.

#1 eckthetech has been a member since 9/3/2016. Posts: 4

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by adancopper on 10/3/2016 at 20:45

Hi,
Time for Hanoi and Halong sound good. About Hoi an , you should cut 2 days for Hue . From Hoi an you can catch bus to Hue about 4hrs. HCMC spend 2-3 days is enough, days left you can visit Mekong Delta and overnight at local peopl will wonderful experience and join the unique floating market in there.

#2 adancopper has been a member since 10/3/2016. Posts: 0

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by eckthetech on 11/3/2016 at 14:36

Thanks for the help. Would you start in Hue and go to Hoi An or Hoi An and up to Hue?

Thanks

#3 eckthetech has been a member since 9/3/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 11/3/2016 at 15:24 admin

Hi,

I'd disagree with fitting Hue into the above, especially if you want to see a bit of the Delta. Most people visit Ha Long Bay on a tour our of Hanoi - one night/two days is the most common, though two/nights/three days also a popular one, so you could certainly shave off a day by doing the shorter trip -- add that to one of your Saigon days and you have enough to fit in a two night trip to the Delta.

The Delta trip you could either do with a tour (yes it is somewhat contrived, but they do cram in a lot of stuff and the price very low) or independent. If you were to do it independently, I'd recommend heading to either My Tho (close to Saigon, good for boat trips and craft villages) or Can Tho (good for boat trips and floating markets). Both have loads of accommodation.

The Delta is a great area, and totally different to anything else in the country, so if you can fit it in, I'd say go for it - and certainly over Hue.

Cheers

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by eckthetech on 14/3/2016 at 00:38

Somtam, thanks for the info. Are the floating markets only in Can Tho ? I really want to see that! So I guess I would fly from Hoi An (Da Nang) to Can Tho and then bus it into Ho Chi Minh after. Or is Hoi An to Ho Chi Minh and bus it to My Tho a better option?

Thanks

#5 eckthetech has been a member since 9/3/2016. Posts: 4

Posted by somtam2000 on 14/3/2016 at 04:41 admin

There are a few floating markets scattered around, but those at Can Tho are the most convenient cluster (most trips will take you to two, if not three markets - get up early!). Flightwise, I don't think you can fly Da Nang to Can Tho - but you can to Saigon. From the a bus to Can Tho is 4 hours ish.

My Tho is far closer to Saigon, but no floating markets.

Cheers

#6 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by eckthetech on 14/3/2016 at 14:41

Thanks for the insight. I found that Vietjet is the only one that flies from Da Nang to Can Tho . What do you think of this itinerary? Once again, not set in stone. I am also willing to add a day if I need to.

Sept
7: Fly Out at Midnight
8: Arrive Hanoi Early
9: Hanoi
10: Hanoi
11: Hanoi
12: Ha Long Bay
13: Ha Long Bay
14: Ha Long Bay/Hanoi
15: Fly to Da Nang for Hoi An
16: Hoi An
17: Hoi An
18: Hoi An
19: Fly to Can Tho
20: Can Tho
21: Can Tho to Ho Chi Minh via Bus
22: Ho Chi Minh
23: Ho Chi Minh
24: Fly out at 5:30

#7 eckthetech has been a member since 9/3/2016. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.