Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Question about Private Car Transportation from Vietnam to Laos

Posted by RhodeIslander on 21/3/2016 at 11:25

Hello,

I will be traveling to Southeast Asia on my honeymoon in July. We will be flying to Da Nang (from Hong Kong), spending about 1 week in Da Nang/ Hoi An / Hue and then hope to move on to Champasak (Laos) for a week and from there on to Siam Reap.

Based on prior research it seems that our best option from getting to Da Nang/Hue/Hoi An to Champasak and from Champasak to Siem Reap is through hiring a private driver. Based on prior research I got the impression that a private driver is about $60. I figured it would be a bit higher for us because it involves crossing borders.

That said, I was surprised a luxury travel company that operates in the region quoted us at $410 to get from Vietnam to Laos. Here is their message:

"Lao Bao is actually Vietnamese border and the border in Laos territory should be Densavanh. We have checked on the visa upon arrival at Densavanh and it is available for the tourists coming by land transfer.
Please be informed that the distance between Hue city and Pakse city is approx. 650 and the land transfer will take approx.. 12 hours driving. OurNET cost with local English speaking guide is at US$ 410.00 for 2 persons.

Please let me know if you would also need a proposal for their trip to Danang, Hoi An & Hue as well as to Laos so I can get it prepared for your review."

Is that realistically what I'm going to have to pay to get private car service from Hue to Pakse, or is this price exorbitantly high? If it is, where should I turn to?

Thanks!

#1 RhodeIslander has been a member since 21/3/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by chrisphh on 21/3/2016 at 21:31

I think it's not much. When you use private car, you can make and change your itinerary by yourseft.

#2 chrisphh has been a member since 21/3/2016. Posts: 2

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by SoManyMiles on 30/3/2016 at 00:54 TF writer

Hi RhodeIslander,
Is the luxury travel company based outside of Vietnam or are they a local operator? If you are asking a company based in, say, North America or Australia, they are simply going through their local DMC (destination management company) and charging you for the service. US$410 is a lot of money but it is a long way to drive and requires a border crossing. Road conditions on the Lao side are rough. They've also promised you a local English speaking guide -- I'd clarify if that means local Vietnamese or Lao. A quote for US$60 for a private transfer would be too good to be true.

But for that money, it sounds like the same cost to fly. Danang - Siem Reap - Pakse, all are direct flights.

Alternatively, they have buses from Da Nang or Hue to Pakse. From Pakse,you can fly Lao Airlines to Siem Reap.

Hope this helps.

#3 SoManyMiles has been a member since 7/2/2014. Posts: 146

Posted by RhodeIslander on 5/4/2016 at 13:23

Does anyone know whether it would be quicker/cheaper to go from Hue or Da Nang to get to Champasak? Google maps would lead you to believe it's Hue but I know nothing about the roads or border crossings.

#4 RhodeIslander has been a member since 21/3/2016. Posts: 2

Posted by samatha on 6/4/2016 at 02:25

I am not sure about the question, but i hope the link helping you http://www.tourismlaos.org/show_province.php?Cont_ID=294

#5 samatha has been a member since 23/3/2016. Posts: 4

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.