Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

Nam Du Island Ferry

Posted by SamSomewhere on 7/4/2016 at 00:44

Just after having a baffling experience in Rach Gia's Superdong ticket office. Went in, after having done research into the area (a lot through Travelfish), looking to get a ferry to Nam Du rather than Phu Quoc.

A very disinterested lady informed me that tickets were "sold out" for tomorrow. Okay, I said, let's do the day after tomorrow. No dice. I whipped out my calendar after a few minutes of her pretending not to see me and asked when I can buy a ticket. "Sold out, sold out, sold out..." was her response. "Never?" I asked. "Maybe" was all she said back to me.

It was only after a while of standing there that I finally got the real reason why the tickets were apparently sold out. She said that the police don't accept tickets when foreigners present them. Essentially, the island is now off limits to westerners. Whether it was an off day for her, or a new policy, I'm not sure but you can understand my disappointment and I thought others should be aware.

#1 SamSomewhere has been a member since 7/4/2016. Posts: 2

Skip the queues!
Skip the queues!
Ad Book plane, train, bus & ferry tickets
with 12Go Asia.

12go.asia

Read more

Posted by oasisbarhatien on 10/4/2016 at 20:23

Apparently this change of policy has just been introduced.I was talking to a customer yesterday,who is a long time resident of Vietnam,married to a Vietnamese lady,and lives in Phu Quoc island.He was on holiday in the the Nam Du island group a week ago,and was informed he would have to leave,as foreigners were no longer allowed to visit.This came out of the blue,and the reason(s) why are unknown.He was also told that foreigners could apply to the "police" (which I interpret as Immigration-Vietnamese tend to refer to all officialdom as "police")in Rach Gia for permission to visit the islands,which might take a couple of days to process,and a positive outcome could not be guaranteed.Very strange-but that appears to be the case as of now-no foreigners permitted in the Nam Du island group

#2 oasisbarhatien has been a member since 12/8/2010. Posts: 113
 Send oasisbarhatien a private message   Website 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/4/2016 at 20:25 admin

Yes, unfortunately we were able to confirm over the weekend with people of Nam Du that at the moment, foreigners are not being allowed to board a boat to Nam Du.

Apparently this is related to some high seas dramas between Vietnam and China over an oil rig placement. Hopefully the situation will return to normal once the governments get over themselves.

#3 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Posted by somtam2000 on 10/4/2016 at 20:26 admin

Thanks for letting us know!

#4 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 8,021
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.