Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

How much cash to take to Vietnam

Posted by Komani27 on 13/4/2016 at 10:12

hi
We travel to Vietnam in May and I was wondering how much cash we should take and in what currencies ?

Nick

#1 Komani27 has been a member since 13/4/2016. Posts: 3

Heading to Thailand?
Heading to Thailand?
Ad Search for cheap flights to Thailand
on Skyscanner.

skyscanner.com

Read more

Posted by Want2BHappy on 13/4/2016 at 16:54

Well, it depends on what you expect to cover.

Hotels in Vietnam range in price from about $10 to about $500 (or more)

Meals range from about $0.20 to $100 (or more)

Assuming you aren't expecting to be in 4 or 5 star hotels, a couple could get by quite comfortably on the equivalent of $60 - $80 a day. Watching the pennies pretty closely maybe $30 a day. To that you would need to add in the cost of flights, trains, alcohol and entertainment. Cycling, I can get by quite comfortably on $15 a day, but I'd struggle to do that and still have fun in the cities.

Currencywise, it depends on what your home currency is. If it is a major currency USD, AUD, GBP, EUR, CAD, ... just take that + an ATM card. If it's something obscure, probably best to just use an ATM card (tell your bank you are travelling). Do not change your local currency into US $ to then spend in Vietnam.

If your home currency isn't the US $ and you have a pre-arranged visa to pay for, then you need to bring USD for that. (Lots of prices are quoted in $, but that's only for comparison purposes - everyone has a rough idea of what $20 represents).

Whatever currency you bring, make sure it is clean, unmarked and untorn. Cards aren't widely used except in higher end places. Most places will add a handling charge of %3 or more to cover the cost of paying by card.

#2 Want2BHappy has been a member since 23/2/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 84
 Send Want2BHappy a private message   Where has Want2BHappy been? 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Robprrtt on 13/4/2016 at 20:49

Hi,
I think it depends on where do want to go and type of hotels as well. If you want to visit Halong, you should spend more money because all things in Halong will higher price than other places in Vietnam. Further, if you eat street foods in Vietnam, it's quite cheap from U$2-5/dish.
Good luck

#3 Robprrtt has been a member since 28/3/2016. Posts: 17

Posted by Komani27 on 14/4/2016 at 01:16

Thanks for the info. We are from the UK and was thinking about taking US $ along with some local currency.

#4 Komani27 has been a member since 13/4/2016. Posts: 3

Posted by Want2BHappy on 14/4/2016 at 02:10

> thinking about taking US $ along with some local currency.

Well, you'll lose out if you do that.

USD for your visa only (if required)

Clean, undamaged GBP notes + ATM card for everything else.

#5 Want2BHappy has been a member since 23/2/2013. Location: United Kingdom. Posts: 84
 Send Want2BHappy a private message   Where has Want2BHappy been? 

Posted by antoniamitchell on 14/4/2016 at 02:29

Hi,

ATMs are pretty easy to find, so you don't need to carry large amounts of currency with you, if you don't want to.

You can't get Vietnamese currency outside of Vietnam, so you wouldn't be able to get local currency in advance, but it's really easy to get local currency from ATMs as you go, and saves the worry of having to carry a lot of cash on you (pickpocketing and bag-snatching does happen occasionally, especially in HCMC, so I personally don't like walking around with hundreds of pounds on me). It also means that you don't need to worry about how much cash you need to take to cover the trip - you just get it as you need it.

When I went, I took a small amount of pounds with me (about £50), for emergencies (if I lost my wallet with my card in, for example, so I kept the cash separate from my wallet), but just used ATMs to get out local currency as I went.

From the UK, the card handling fees vary enormously for using foreign ATMs. Halifax's Clarity Mastercard is a really good one for travelling, as they charge no extra fees for cash advances from foreign ATMs as long as you pay off the amount before the statement is raised (so you need to remember to pay some money onto the card before that date). If you do that, it's essentially the cheapest way to get cash overseas (certainly cheaper than exchanging money)

Have a great trip.

#6 antoniamitchell has been a member since 13/5/2012. Posts: 562
 Send antoniamitchell a private message   Where has antoniamitchell been?   Website   Twitter 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.