Photo: Canals of Ca Mau, Mekong Delta.

Vietnam forum

North Vietnam tour routing

Posted by Eric2000 on 25/4/2016 at 20:17

I'm planning a 4 week trip to Hanoi, Sapa, Bai Tu Long and Ninh Binh in September/October. Because of the climate differences, I want to stick to that sequence but I realise that all north Vietnam travel seems to involve constant looping back through Hanoi. Is there any way around this?

#1 Eric2000 has been a member since 25/4/2016. Posts: 1

Posted by somtam2000 on 25/4/2016 at 20:29 admin

Not really, I mean sure you could deliberately route yourself to miss Hanoi but it would be considerably more time consuming than looping back through the capital. Plus both Sapa and Ninh Binh are easily reached by train and the lines both pass through Hanoi, so kinda makes sense.

#2 somtam2000 has been a member since 21/1/2004. Location: Indonesia. Posts: 7,996
 Send somtam2000 a private message   Where has somtam2000 been?   Website   Twitter   Facebook    Flickr    Instagram   Pinterest 

Agoda coupon: Get an extra 7% off selected properties with the coupon code
“Tfishpromo”

Posted by Robprrtt on 25/4/2016 at 22:54

Hi.
You can travel from north to south of Vietnam during 4 weeks, you can refer: Hanoi city tour – Halong Bay – Hoi AnNha Trang – Ho Chi Minh – Ben TreMui Ne – Ho Chi Minh (Check out: Vietnam Tour Booking). From Hanoi to Halong, you should catch bus with 4hrs to transfer which is best way to travel around 2 cities. Further beachs in Mui Ne is so beautiful and romantic, you can homestay to enjoy natural beauty there with 2 days or more. Hoian considers as shopping paradise and majestic place for tourists. If you want to travel by yourseft, you should look the itinerary at Travelfish before travelling.
Happy travels!

#3 Robprrtt has been a member since 28/3/2016. Posts: 17

Posted by daawgon on 27/4/2016 at 14:25

Eric - I like your plan to stay north for all 4 weeks. I've been to Vietnam 8 times since 2008, and I spend most of my days in or around Hanoi , my favorite city. I just spent 25 days there in March (+ another 6 days in the Quy Nhon area). I'm going back for another 25 days in Hanoi in December (+ another 6 days in Taipei).

Yes, Hanoi is the hub of the north as somtam indicated, but it's not a big problem, and there's more to see than just the places you listed. For instance, the NW Highlands is more than just Sapa (where all the tourists hang out) - with a little more effort you can travel up to Ha Giang or Bac Ha. I was just in Moc Chau and Mai Chau on a 2-day trip that was very nice/very relaxing. I like to get away from the hoards of international tourists in both Hanoi and Halong Bay, and I'm fortunate enough to have many Vietnamese friends who give me good advice. This is not the country to rush around in - the more time you give to any one area, the more enjoyable your trip will be.

I hang out more on Tripadvisor (as daawgon) if you want to contact me for more info.

#4 daawgon has been a member since 17/4/2007. Posts: 1,158
 Send daawgon a private message 

Please login to add a reply

You need to be a Travelfish member to be able to add a reply to this post. Please use the button below to log in. After logging in you'll be returned to this page automatically to add your post. Not a member? Join up here.